Is ground and pound ethical?

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wished I could have gotten into the military, have bad ears and failed the hearing test by 5 decibels, but it saved my life found out I had can’t spell it but it’s akin to benign cancer that grows inside the ear eating the ear bones then grows on the wall between the brain eventually eating into the brain and kills ya did not even know I had it! It was already on the wall of my brain and had eaten a pin size hole in the wall going into the brain 40-50 years ago they did not know how to treat it and it killed people. After 9-10 surgeries they got it all!!! So many times I should have died just can’t understand why I am still here!!!!!!

Cholesteatoma​

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I quoted the wrong thing.

Anyway.

A thing I noticed from bouncing is that quite often bouncers were standoffish to give themselves the emotional armour to turn around and hurt a guy.

And I think the banter about justification for killing people works the same way.

They can't face that they may just do something awful so they have to rework that in to they are really doing something good.
I agree with this completely. It really is a moral dilemma a person has to reconcile in some way to relieve that inner conflict. I think the existence of that conflict speaks to our deep (often subconscious) sense of community as a species. Killing or severely injuring people can have negative psychological effects on that sense of community and cause injury to how we relate to others.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That means you aren’t good at it. Bouncing experts dont have to use violence very often.
I sure that is the 'hope'. Reality is very different in some bars/clubs. I don't think people with the mindset "nothing bad is ever going to happen" last very long in that job.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I sure that is the 'hope'. Reality is very different in some bars/clubs. I don't think people with the mindset "nothing bad is ever going to happen" last very long in that job.
I did it for a couple years on weekends at a punk rock club in Riverside CA. Called Spanky’s Cafe. It definitely got rough some times. I got stabbed, and then beaten with a cue stick, my boss got his arm broken, people went to hospital, etc. I prided myself on my ability to talk to people rather than grab and eject. The vast majority of times, a friendly reminder to be friendly was enough.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got violent with people. It depends on the club.

Some are just garbage pits that need to be cleaned out. Some are so massive and busy that you don't have time to talk to people. Some you don't really have the control you want so you have to over react.

And example would be some 24hr McDonald's. You don't intox, you don't dress code. Basically at 3am everyone who is not suitable to be out in public is in McDonald's causing drama.

So tons of fights happen.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Some are just garbage pits that need to be cleaned out. Some are so massive and busy that you don't have time to talk to people. Some you don't really have the control you want so you have to over react.

And example would be some 24hr McDonald's. You don't intox, you don't dress code. Basically at 3am everyone who is not suitable to be out in public is in McDonald's causing drama.

Yep, I've never worked as a bouncer, but I have been a late night server at Denny's. We got the bar rush as soon as the bars closed. A whole diner filled with drunk people led to some problems more or less every weekend night. I've also bartended, and even though it was all restaurants and not party bars, we still had the occasional guy who wanted to start something with another customer or the staff.

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Public phones, going to police station?
I was on the street in the middle of a fight ya don’t pay attention to where phones are, nor plate numbers your only thought is survival and making it home to ya family and he took off so fast that even god his self could not have caught up with him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

My first job was at a McDonalds just down the hill from Greek Row and a mile or so from Husky Stadium. I know exactly what you mean. 😅

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Fair enough, it happens. I have definitely had my share of nonsense. It seems a world ago, thank goodness.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on the street in the middle of a fight ya don’t pay attention to where phones are, nor plate numbers your only thought is survival and making it home to ya family and he took off so fast that even god his self could not have caught up with him.
Awareness even or especially in a fight is vital.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, I've never worked as a bouncer, but I have been a late night server at Denny's. We got the bar rush as soon as the bars closed. A whole diner filled with drunk people led to some problems more or less every weekend night. I've also bartended, and even though it was all restaurants and not party bars, we still had the occasional guy who wanted to start something with another customer or the staff.
Late night at Denny's. You just made me feel old. And hungry.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did it for a couple years on weekends at a punk rock club in Riverside CA. Called Spanky’s Cafe. It definitely got rough some times. I got stabbed, and then beaten with a cue stick, my boss got his arm broken, people went to hospital, etc. I prided myself on my ability to talk to people rather than grab and eject. The vast majority of times, a friendly reminder to be friendly was enough.
But you got stabbed and beaten with a cue stick?

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bouncers have a tough job. Knowing you will turn someone's ribs or skull into cream pie before the night is over would definitely change my thought process.
Bouncers doing that are **** people. They have a team to work with to remove people, either they’re extremely strong, and don’t have any control, or they and their team are using their job as a cover to assault people. Either way, **** people.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bouncers doing that are **** people. They have a team to work with to remove people, either they’re extremely strong, and don’t have any control, or they and their team are using their job as a cover to assault people. Either way, **** people.

You don't always have a team.

Latest Discussions