OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes the European stick fighting was as developed as any in asia.
I have carried a black thorn walking stick as both a walking stick and a weapon in the bay aria. I am an SCA trained fighter and could use it effectivaly and like the hanbo there are a limited number of ways to use a cane length fighting stick.
believe me a stick say 30 inches long used properly will shatter a femur ! ( the toughest bone in the body to brake!!)

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
believe me a stick say 30 inches long used properly will shatter a femur ! ( the toughest bone in the body to brake!!)
So imagine what it will do to a wrist, forearm, inside of the shin, ankle, elbow, side of the face/head. :D I think of my sticks (and cane) as my *anti-knife.* That 30 inches is a great stress reliever when we don't know what he might have hidden, or even after he pulls a blade (or brass knuckles)--we can reach him, but he can't reach us. :)

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please dont take this as an affront, thats was some COOL stuff and the system shown is probably pretty effective, but I am always a bit suspicious of some of these "ethnic arts" that pop up every now and then. "The forgotten art of Native American knife fighting" and "the return of the obscure Eskimo art of seal bone combat". And so on. While Im shure many cultures had their fighting "systems" it seems to me like many people are looking for that "niche" in martial arts to exploit so they latch onto some obscure culture and/or weapons and hit the streets.

Again, not saying thats going on here, I am admittedly ignorant of the history, traditions and lineage of Irish "Martial Arts", just someting that makes me think whenever I see some new "traditional" art come to light.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is one of his websites: http://fightingfaction.com/

Personally I enjoyed the videos!
icon6.gif

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Please dont take this as an affront, thats was some COOL stuff and the system shown is probably pretty effective, but I am always a bit suspicious of some of these "ethnic arts" that pop up every now and then.

True enough. However, Glen Doyle is well-regarded. IIRC, Bata is reasonably well-documented. Of course there's stuff like STAV which is completely bogus from a historical standpoint. If you do your research, you won't get taken in by a fraud. For more info, Ken Pfrenger (I think) runs an e-list for bata and pugilism.

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, not saying thats going on here, I am admittedly ignorant of the history, traditions and lineage of Irish "Martial Arts",
Yep, I'd say that's true. You might want to do a little checking before crapping on someone's art/practice/studio.

...just someting that makes me think whenever I see some new "traditional" art come to light.
This is not new. Yeah, Glen and his father Greg have their family slant, but the concept/history of shillelagh fighting goes back at least to the 1700s (without my research books in front of me, can't make a better guess than that). You could check out some of the works of John Hurley. They're pretty accessible, and very thorough. If you want a longer reference list, I can get it for you once I get home.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True enough. However, Glen Doyle is well-regarded. IIRC, Bata is reasonably well-documented. Of course there's stuff like STAV which is completely bogus from a historical standpoint. If you do your research, you won't get taken in by a fraud. For more info, Ken Pfrenger (I think) runs an e-list for bata and pugilism.

Best regards,

-Mark

Hey count me in as a skeptic too.

I mean...c'mon. The Irish? Able to fight?

Ridiculous!

(Kidding!)

:lol2: :lol: :lol2:

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey count me in as a skeptic too.

I mean...c'mon. The Irish? Able to fight?

Ridiculous!

(Kidding!)

:lol2: :lol: :lol2:
Well, think about it like this. If you take away their (our ;)) drink, what else is there? Just leaves fighting. :) So with that much practice, and throwing in the noggin-knocker stick aspect, the survivors are bound to get better, eh? :D

I emailed Glenn Doyle last month and he told me that he is about to release some instructional dvd's.

AoG
Yeah, I can't wait. Should give those of us who use the stick some fresh ideas for rounding out our curriculum and practice.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, think about it like this. If you take away their (our ;)) drink, what else is there? Just leaves fighting. :) So with that much practice, and throwing in the noggin-knocker stick aspect, the survivors are bound to get better, eh? :D

Interesting that you say this. The Doyle family style of Bata is called Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha or Whiskey Stick Dance. Not really that surprising when you think a bout it though.

I found the techniques interesting. Different hand positions and movements to what I am used to. Definitely gives a different perspective on the stick as a weapon. The expected Irish brutality was definitely evident as well.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting that you say this. The Doyle family style of Bata is called Rince an Bhata Uisce Bheatha or Whiskey Stick Dance. Not really that surprising when you think a bout it though.
No, not surprising. So to summarize, drinking leads to fighting, and sobriety leads to fighting. Sounds like a few people of the Irish persuasion whom I've known. :D

I found the techniques interesting. Different hand positions and movements to what I am used to. Definitely gives a different perspective on the stick as a weapon.
I've found the difference between Doyle's methods and some others, which I'm guessing are more English and French (Tony Wolf, A.C. Cunningham) significant and as you say, interesting. What I come away with from Doyle, is the speed of identifying and striking the target of opportunity in his use of the cutting stroke. Very eye-opening.

The expected Irish brutality was definitely evident as well.
What? Irish brutality? And here I thought they were mostly writers. :boing2:

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different hand positions and movements to what I am used to. Definitely gives a different perspective on the stick as a weapon.
And for a short intro to Fairbairn's take, which I think complements this idea of different perspectives on the simple stick, see: Fairbairn