Iraqi Prison Scandal

T

The Prof

The Palm Beach Post Dated Jan, 17, 2005

"Guard gets 10 years in Iraq prison scandal"

My question!

Is the Army over reacting considering the beheading of those poor captives by their captors?

The Prof

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No. There is no use advocating one thing and doing another. If these actions are against our stated ethical and legal principles then action must be taken. What the other side does is not relevant.

We went in their complaining of Saddams human rights abuses. It is up to us to demonstrate that there are better ways of dealing with people, and that we offer a different attitude to human rights.

OP
T

The Prof

Greetings Colin,

I somehow get the uneasy feeling that the guard and the others will be taking all of the blame while the Generals and other senior officers will get off scott free.

Thanks for your reply.

The Prof

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes I think you may be right. There is certainly more responsibility to be accepted by others, and they may even need to look further than just the military. Certainly the differing arguments regarding what constitutes torture and the methods used to circumvent legal action of torture have muddied the thoughts of many. In times of duress people need clear sharp guidelines of behaviour, this appears not have been the case. I think the degree of leadership was also very poor in this particular unit.

OP
T

The Prof

Hi,

I guess that you are right. My mistake, I am still new at posting and did not realize that it was in this section. Sorry!

The Prof

OP
T

The Prof

Note: I mistakenly Posted this in the Ju Jitsu/Judo forum

My question!

Is the Army over reacting considering the beheading of those poor captives by their captors?

The Prof

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread moved and merged from Jui-Jitsu to The Study.

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Super Moderator

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In another thread, I may have mistakenly given the impression that I condoned the torture, in light of the beheadings and other executions. That is not the case, I think everyone involved here should be dealt with according to military law, at least as high as the local command. I don't see how a charge could reasonable levelled at anyone above that level, unless it can be proved that they had knowledge of what was going on and took no action.

Jeff

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

The Prof said:

My question!

The Prof
Yes, the Army is over reacting due to the pressure of the liberal media who have no clue as to what torture consists; what was done in Abu Ghari prison is routinely done in American prisons to unruly prisoners for discipline. The placement of women's underwear or a black hood on a person's head is not torture, and is frequently done in Gay Bars as a good time.

Jessica Lynch was raped and tortured after capture, not psuedo-tortured, but very real physical torture like never happened in Abu Ghari prison.

Those photographs published in the international media showed accepted methods of interrogation that is taught by the U.S. Army in their intelligence schools as humane and accepted forms of intelligence gathering. Those prisoners held information vital to the fight against terrorism and were properly interrogated and not tortured.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Oh, for God's green sake.

You are actually arguing that beating people to death, shoving a stick up their butt, staging mock executions, and partially-drowning helpless prisoners, isn't torture.

Just in case you're paying attention, this particular list is all stuff that the United States Army's own investigators have reported.

I've previously recommended that anybody who thinks this stuff is OK should find out who Telford Taylor was. That's my recommendation here.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Yes, the Army is over reacting due to the pressure of the liberal media who have no clue as to what torture consists; what was done in Abu Ghari prison is routinely done in American prisons to unruly prisoners for discipline. The placement of women's underwear or a black hood on a person's head is not torture, and is frequently done in Gay Bars as a good time.

Jessica Lynch was raped and tortured after capture, not psuedo-tortured, but very real physical torture like never happened in Abu Ghari prison.

Those photographs published in the international media showed accepted methods of interrogation that is taught by the U.S. Army in their intelligence schools as humane and accepted forms of intelligence gathering. Those prisoners held information vital to the fight against terrorism and were properly interrogated and not tortured.
The claims by Lynch that she was raped come along with the statement that she 'has no memory' of the sexual assault. While in the Iraqi hospital, she was given a level of treatment higher than that of native Iraqi's. Additional some of the medical staff had tried to deliver her to the American's, but were chased away by American bullets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,956255,00.html

I suppose having no memory of a rape by Iraqi bad guys helps sell a book in this country.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
You are actually arguing that beating people to death, shoving a stick up their butt, staging mock executions, and partially-drowning helpless prisoners, isn't torture.

Just in case you're paying attention, this particular list is all stuff that the United States Army's own investigators have reported.
I didn't realize that people were beaten to death by the prison gaurds @ Abu Graib. Is there a list of chrarges somewhere on the internet?

You would think that murder would have been mentioned on the news.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ginshun said:
I didn't realize that people were beaten to death by the prison gaurds @ Abu Graib. Is there a list of chrarges somewhere on the internet?

You would think that murder would have been mentioned on the news.
http://www.antiwar.com/rothschild/?articleid=2615
http://talkleft.com/new_archives/007778.html
http://www.drudge.com/weblog/3412/photographed_abu_ghraib_prisoner_died_from_se.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/30/iraq/main614905.shtml

It was in the news .... quite a bit actually.

If you search Google .. you will find plenty of sources, I'm sure several of which you will consider credible.

Latest Discussions