Iran's Disputed Election

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Once again pictures tell the story (caution graphic content to be viewed at discretion).
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html

As I understand it the two parties have claimed victory but the dispute is that one party accuses the other of either double counting votes or not counting the other's votes at all.
Either way there are riots and people getting killed as a result.

We are likely to go to war with this country sooner or later. I would think mainly on the premise that one side of the dispute is in need of help against the other. Iran being another oil rich country and one allegedly harbors and creates terrorists should give a reason for the U.S. to lend aid and eventually war over an incident.
Far fetched? Uhh, what happened in Iraq?

Either way, I'm sadden for the Iranian people. The ones that I have known personally (who name their country of origin Persia) have been really wonderful folks. If they hate Americans then they wouldn't be here and those in Iran/Persia are merely being spoken for by others expressing their opinion.

I thought I'd toss these photos up to garner thoughtful discussion over the crisis that is brewing there. They are TRYING to have democratic elections it seems but one side wants to maintain control while the people are saying otherwise, (note one photo with a person holding a sign saying "Where is my vote?" ) .

Should we lend aid? Or is there something else I'm not seeing here?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one of those "moments of truth" for Iran. I hope it works out well for them in the long run...I have to respect their courage and determination.

From all that I have heard, the "public" face of Iranian attitudes towards the west in general and the US in particular are quite different from the "man on the streets". I hope that whatever happens, it results in a lessening of tensions between us.

PS- I went to college classes with a couple of Iranian girls and at the risk of sounding sexist...they were HOT! But just like western girls...they knew it. ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't decide if that noise I can hear is a fuse burning or pot boiling over. It could explode very badly in a number of ways or settle down to a rumbling simmer - both are dangerous in a well nigh nuclear power.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't decide if that noise I can hear is a fuse burning or pot boiling over. It could explode very badly in a number of ways or settle down to a rumbling simmer - both are dangerous in a well nigh nuclear power.
Well, isn't Iran like Korea at first denying they have it and then now proudly proclaiming their right to arm themselves equally to everyone else and now (Korea) waving the gun around carelessly daring anyone to mix it up or piss them off?

Sometimes one feels another bomb needs to go off just to remind folks of just HOW BAD one of those things really are.
But that's another thread.

Here we have another country trying to get away from the old and starting anew. Personally I don't care if they're wanting to try democracy or whatever but a people should be given a chance to allow their governments to change and grow.
But then again as the saying goes, people should not fear their government, a government should fear it's people.

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Once again pictures tell the story (caution graphic content to be viewed at discretion).
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html

As I understand it the two parties have claimed victory but the dispute is that one party accuses the other of either double counting votes or not counting the other's votes at all.
Either way there are riots and people getting killed as a result.

We are likely to go to war with this country sooner or later. I would think mainly on the premise that one side of the dispute is in need of help against the other. Iran being another oil rich country and one allegedly harbors and creates terrorists should give a reason for the U.S. to lend aid and eventually war over an incident.
Far fetched? Uhh, what happened in Iraq?

Either way, I'm sadden for the Iranian people. The ones that I have known personally (who name their country of origin Persia) have been really wonderful folks. If they hate Americans then they wouldn't be here and those in Iran/Persia are merely being spoken for by others expressing their opinion.

I thought I'd toss these photos up to garner thoughtful discussion over the crisis that is brewing there. They are TRYING to have democratic elections it seems but one side wants to maintain control while the people are saying otherwise, (note one photo with a person holding a sign saying "Where is my vote?" ) .

Should we lend aid? Or is there something else I'm not seeing here?

The US foreign policy in the Middle East has a poor history, what we have an oppurtunity to do here, is mind our own damn business and let a sovereign country, love em, or hate em figure out their own mess.

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, isn't Iran like Korea at first denying they have it and then now proudly proclaiming their right to arm themselves equally to everyone else and now (Korea) waving the gun around carelessly daring anyone to mix it up or piss them off?

Sometimes one feels another bomb needs to go off just to remind folks of just HOW BAD one of those things really are.
But that's another thread.

Here we have another country trying to get away from the old and starting anew. Personally I don't care if they're wanting to try democracy or whatever but a people should be given a chance to allow their governments to change and grow.
But then again as the saying goes, people should not fear their government, a government should fear it's people.

Actually Iran is a bit different from North Korea, Prez Armenasomething is NOT in charge, the Grand Ayatoyllah is, and he answers to some board of Mullah scholar guys, where as Kim Jong Illin is soley running the show and is the bigger loon of the two imho, the Iranians are calculating, not reckless, Jong Il is just nuts. Klingons verses Romulans.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Klingons verses Romulans.
Oh, well now, since you put it THAT way... :lol:
Yeah I see what you mean but the Prez of Iran IMO is more scarier because of the cold calculation. Also he has the ability to launch surgical strikes via terrorist cells here and abroad. Bin Laden was capable of doing it so with the Jihad fanaticism prevalent with extremist type Muslims (not all Muslims are extremists... I know this), there's no reason not to believe they wouldn't do the same launching from Iran.
Hard to say which of the them is the lesser of two evils (Iran or Korea).

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I see what you mean but the Prez of Iran IMO is more scarier because of the cold calculation. Also he has the ability to launch surgical strikes via terrorist cells here and abroad. Bin Laden was capable of doing it so with the Jihad fanaticism prevalent with extremist type Muslims (not all Muslims are extremists... I know this), there's no reason not to believe they wouldn't do the same launching from Iran.

Not lesser evil, different evil, but still evil. Ironic you use Al Qaeda as an example, unless really really out of covenience, Iran wouldn't likely want to deal with the tiger tail, Al Aqaeda is gold ol' Saudi style Wahhabi jihadism, Iran, being Shia, are as much the enemy as we are, and they have Hezzbula to play with.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But again, as said before, the President of Iran is not in charge, and wouldn't be the one making that decision. It comes down to Grand Ayatollah Khameinei and the Council of Guardians, they run the show. And yes, Iran has sponsored terrorism in the Middle East, but the likelihood that they are sponsoring terrorist cells all over the world that can just overwhelmingly attack at any moment is extremely far fetched. And for all their rhetoric the U.S. isn't their main concern, Israel is.

Kim Jong Il is far scarier right now because he actually has working nukes, is blatantly looney, and is old and probably dieing, which means he has nothing whatsoever to lose.

Latest Discussions