Ip man 2

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just finished watching Ip Man and Ip Man 2. I liked the first more, but the 2nd was also really really good. I just wished that there was more. I didn't want it to end.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just couldnt stop thinking about Rocky 4 all the way through the second half of this film!!

I was tempted to get some clips from the film and post them on a certain martial arts forum under the title 'See, wing chun works in the ring' lol

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the film, best part for me was the sparring on the circular table. I didnt really enjoy the boxing ring scene as much as I thought I would but played out for a good story !

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the film, best part for me was the sparring on the circular table. I didnt really enjoy the boxing ring scene as much as I thought I would but played out for a good story !

Yeah the boxing ring scenes were terrible. In reality, Ip Man would have taken the guy apart - the boxer had gloves on, wouldnt have known how to kick or defend kicks and one stamp kick to the boxers leg would have finished the fight (think about the first film). But i think they went more for showing Ip Man's 'equals' this time around (the first film was more Ip Man taking everyone apart which was great to see)

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah thats a good point actually.
I was always waiting for the burst at the end to come sooner lol
Oh and even if the bell went I dont think Ip Man would've been hit surely.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I loved Ip Man 2, to me it was better than the first. The original had too much dead space in between the fighting, where as in IM2 it seemed like it was more well dispersed and thought out. The boxing matches were nice, I enjoyed how Ip Man wasn't portrayed as invincible. Just as the first movie did, the second makes me want to learn Wing Chun really bad.

melry88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I second a lot of the comments on this topic. It was just ashame not to really have any historical aspects in the film.

The ending to me really blew.... Like everyone else all I could think of was Rocky. Also did anyone notice the timeline at the end? I could not tell if she went into labor right before the fight and then was standing outside right after the fight holding the baby. Just kinda of lame ending...

Have a great day!

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just FYI, my Sihing (Sifu Cliff Au Yeung) was one of the Ving Tsun consultant for this movie. So this time around the muk yan joong/ Baat Jam Doo/ and the end fight scene had a tad bit more WSL flavor to it. Hope you all enjoyed it nevertheless.

The boxer fight was to make it a bit more realistic in a sense that there is no way that you could get into a ring with a champion boxer and not be hit at all. And remember this was back in the 50's so fighting against Foreign boxers were not common.

Yes, I was lucky enough to visit the set when I was in china to take a look during the filming. =P

Seven

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was sooooo disappointed in Ip Man 2... the fight scenes were good but to me it was like too much "obvious" wire work. I can't say I didn't enjoy it... though I thought the first was a much better film all around, acting, story etc... the first seemed to have much more heart to me.

Still worth watching though.

Kanoy919

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just ordered Ip Man 2. Looking forward to watching it after reading other's opinions. Been streaming a lot to thai movies through netflix and I've grown to appreciate listening to the actual language of the movie.

It's amazing how fast my mind was able to process the reading and watching at the same time without it effecting the quality of the watching experience. guess Wing Tsun has some great side effects..

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hope they dub an English version of the movie, for us westerners. I hate reading sub-titles, it takes away from the movie. Too much to read and focus on the events going on within at the same time.

I am the exact opposite!!

I find some of the translation gets lost and the lips not matching the sounds annoying yet hilarious.

It reminds me of the all the old dubbed chop suey movies with terrible lip synch and even worse US/UK accents dubbed over the top.

Even Police acadamy made a joke about it!!

I'm with you, I'd rather read the subtitles and have the real actors voices even if I don't understand 99% of the language. They never get the emotion or tone right when dubbing.

As for this movie, I really enjoyed it (subtitles and all). Fight choreography has come a long way since the Shaw Brothers 70's movies.

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally managed to watch it last night, was disappointed. Could have been sooo much better grrrrrrrrrr..

An enjoyable yarn but thats about it. I hope Young Ip Man is better. I think this series has run its course now, shame as it could have been maybe 3 or 4 really good films.

One funny thing is my copy has subtitles, even the English was wrong!! what came up on screen was not what they were saying on screen. I wonder how wrong the subtitles are to the original dialect being said during the rest of the film.

Anyway, 5/10 for me and worth a watch if you havent got much else to do. I would say watch Part 1 or Enter the Dragon for more entertainment.

vatesi

White Belt
Reaction score
Young Ip man is definitely a lighter film compared to the other two. Having all three films on DVD and rewatching them all, i would rate them

ip man 1 -> young ip man -> ip man 2

Latest Discussions