Introducing Myself

RyuHoshin

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and I'm a 28 year old male. When I was a kid, I took Kempo for 6 years and it really had a big influence on who I am as a person today. I've always been into martial arts and I've been wanting to get back into it. Just wanted to surround myself with some like minded people. I look forward to discussing martial arts and whatever pops up with everyone!

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and I'm a 28 year old male. When I was a kid, I took Kempo for 6 years and it really had a big influence on who I am as a person today. I've always been into martial arts and I've been wanting to get back into it. Just wanted to surround myself with some like minded people. I look forward to discussing martial arts and whatever pops up with everyone!
Welcome Matt. That was a great introduction. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I took Kempo for 6 years
What's your opinion about Kempo's

1. special fighting stance with back palm cover the shoulder and leading arm drop downward?
2. ridge hand skill?

1 is the set up for 2. Any incoming straight punch can be blocked and deflected by a circular ridge hand (or hay-maker).

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's your opinion about Kempo's

1. special fighting stance with back palm cover the shoulder and leading arm drop downward?
2. ridge hand skill?

1 is the set up for 2. Any incoming straight punch can be blocked and deflected by a circular ridge hand (or hay-maker).
For those wondering, and for myself, I assume this is the guard you're referring to? The first one is the guard statically, and the second one (guy on the left) is a fluid guard based on it in sparring.
tiger-claw-ed-parker-signature-kenpo-karate-uniform-62.jpg
02facegard.jpg

WQqG7Nh1WK69ArF1A

MJCAfbXAqGBc1t4V8

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, bro.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you jab at your opponent's face, most of the time he will right hook punch at the side of your head. how do you deal with that?
While I don't fight like that, I feel like just weaving out could help most of the time, especially if you're expecting that response.

Oddly, the stance that I was taught was essentially the reverse of this. Keep your back hand low, slightly above your groin, on a vertical path, and keep your front hand high (around chin) on a horizontal path. I was taught it as a 'traditional' method, and we weren't encouraged to use it over whatever guard we felt most comfortable with, but I found it effective at times.