Interesting clip

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So.. I'm too much of a novice to make heads or tails of this, I like the way it looks tho, looks like he uses a lot of force in for the tan/fook sau motions, which I was under the impression was to be avoided, perhaps my eyes deceive me tho! here she blows:

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
So.. I'm too much of a novice to make heads or tails of this, I like the way it looks tho, looks like he uses a lot of force in for the tan/fook sau motions, which I was under the impression was to be avoided, perhaps my eyes deceive me tho! here she blows:

I had no idea Kwai Chang Caine did Wing Chun .

Too rigid and tense for my liking , dress him up in a gi and he could have been doing Karate .

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Got a new clip of the day for ya! hehehe, I was wondering if anyone has practiced this type of training? seems to have some definite potential in increasing ones skill and/or pissing off their kung fu brothers! :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fygc5s93oqg&NR=1
(edit to add extra clip)

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To anyone interested in a channel which seems to add several clips daily check this out, they have 1670 videos, I'm very happy to have found them, will keep me happily entertained for quite some time! :)

(edit to add link :p)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I used to spar students with one hand , at the last half an hour of some of my classes I used to get the students to spar and invariably there would often be an odd number .

So I would have to join in to even the numbers up and I thought I might as well get a bit of a session in too , I didn't get anything out of it using 2 hands so I made it a bit more of a challenge and used 1.

Its not that hard really against beginners because they're quite tense and you can just throw them around , you can pretty much stop everything they do by doing Tan / Bong . It would be suicide to try it against somebody good though you definitely need two hands for that.

One of my instructors used to beat the absolute crap out of us using 1 arm versus 2 , he would palm slap you on the side of the ribs if he saw your Bong Sau was up and your side was unprotected. Then you would go home get in the shower and see big red hand prints on your upper ribcage.

Over time I eventually learned to cut my arm down and protect my ribs , and he would end up slapping my elbow instead , pain is the best teacher of them all that is for sure .

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Haha, thats awesome I can't wait until I get to practice chi sau! I wish I could practice 8 hours a day with somebody -chuckles-
Thanks for sharing! sounds like a blast. :)

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok in regards to the first clip....
That is Master Wong Nim Yi and he does Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun.
He lives and teaches in Guangzhou. The guy is very skilled and of course is with a different lineage. He learned from his father who was a prominent WC fighter.

I made a thread about him on MT here.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54615

You can see his school as well.
www.kf-cn.com

Chi Sau at a seminar

This guy is the real deal.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was aware of who he was, and his lineage through the comments on youtube videos with him in it, I enjoyed watching some of his chi sau, the form certainly does seem a bit rigid, but man.. it looks so powerful too! heheh, fun to see WT expressed different ways. Thanks for the clarification, I should have perhaps mentioned that with the start of the thread.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
no problems with that guy. i like it.

and i dont think that fajing is 'like karate'.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought fa jing refers to hip movement, perhaps I could use a clarification :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
no problems with that guy. i like it.

and i dont think that fajing is 'like karate'.

Not in our lineage , its done relaxed all the way brother , and when you think your relaxed , you then try and relax some more.

In our lineage any tension in the muscles hinders the cultivation of Nim Lik .

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ohhh, I've watched these videos of someone named tony, something, I think he's out there in Australia, anyways, that's the only mention I have ever heard of nim liq, do you have any personal experience with this? What are your thoughts/theories/beliefs behind it? Seems like such an elusive topic, I have yet to really make heads or tails of it as of yet, thanks much!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok in regards to the first clip....
That is Master Wong Nim Yi and he does Mai Gei Wong Wing Chun.
He lives and teaches in Guangzhou. The guy is very skilled and of course is with a different lineage. He learned from his father who was a prominent WC fighter.

Ace, are you sure that guy in Nabakatsu's first clip is the same Master Wong you referenced? He sure looks different. Anyway, I agree with Mook that he looks pretty rigid doing the form, although I'd say more like hard-style kung-fu than karate. It also looks a good deal more circular and less linear in execution than the WC/WT I'm familiar with.

As for the second batch of clips... from Sifu Ng Chun Hong, that's energy I can relate to. Soft and flexible, constant forward pressure, and using one hand to control two. I like the way he keeps the pressure on with his footwork and uses his bong sau to deflect, trap and strike by folding into a gwai-jarn (kneeling-elbow strike). But then, that kind of movement is similar to what we do.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes instructor Tony is one of the most senior instructors from the former organisation I belonged to. He is lightning fast and has immense skill. The head of our organisation is Sigung Tsui Seung Tin , Sigung Tsui places a very , very big emphasis on power generation in his particular method of teaching .

The power generated must come from stance and relaxed muscles not from using a lot of tense muscular force . Sigung believes that correct practice of SLT with relaxed muscles and a slight contraction of the anal sphincter which is called Tei Gong will enable the student under the guidance of a qualified master to be able to generate the Wing Chun " Thought Force " known as Nim Lik.

This force can be used to energise your techniques and stabilise them , so that deflecting a huge amount of force will be effortless and free from muscular force or it can be used in your attacking moves to generate a massive amount of force.

Obviously this state requires many , many years of training to aquire and to be able to use at will. I don't really give a rats **** if people don't believe in it , I do , and in my own training I will continue to aspire to the level that Sigung is at, of being able to generate unassailable power without any apparent muscular effort at all , that is my very long term goal , after all he has walked the path ahead of me already so why shouldn't I believe him.

redantstyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought fa jing refers to hip movement, perhaps I could use a clarification

eh, i think the way he is using his muscle chains is more 'jin' than 'li', is all. definately a hard style, but it's coordinated, and he's 'settled' when he emits.

Not in our lineage , its done relaxed all the way brother , and when you think your relaxed , you then try and relax some more.

In our lineage any tension in the muscles hinders the cultivation of Nim Lik .

i understand, and am of a like mind. but i do think there is one more than one way to skin a cat, and in context, i think he would have effective power.

what's Nim Lik mean?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ace, are you sure that guy in Nabakatsu's first clip is the same Master Wong you referenced? He sure looks different. Anyway, I agree with Mook that he looks pretty rigid doing the form, although I'd say more like hard-style kung-fu than karate. It also looks a good deal more circular and less linear in execution than the WC/WT I'm familiar with.

As for the second batch of clips... from Sifu Ng Chun Hong, that's energy I can relate to. Soft and flexible, constant forward pressure, and using one hand to control two. I like the way he keeps the pressure on with his footwork and uses his bong sau to deflect, trap and strike by folding into a gwai-jarn (kneeling-elbow strike). But then, that kind of movement is similar to what we do.

From the 2 clips I saw, it said that it was him. It is hard to tell and now he has a very long beard. It looks like instead of heading to Italy I will be heading to China for 2 weeks. If I have the chance I would love to stop in a visit his school.

Latest Discussions