Interesting Article

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's interesting. I'd look at it another way and say that one doesn't specifically train for resistance because correct application of the technique provides uke with an extremely limited opportunity to resist.

One doesn't wait around for uke to stabilize and get the grounding to resist. The technique is quick, uke's centre and balance is taken and there's not a lot for him or her to resist. For me that's the whole point of Aikido - if I'm having to brute force a technique, it's a pretty sure sign something's not right - it needs to be that way for me as I'm a bit of a lightweight. ;)

Respects!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not aikidoka, so please forgive the intrusion.

The study of throwing is complex and we do joint lock throws and judo throws. I'm no great talent at judo and I'm getting better slowly. One thing I have noticed, certainly, is that if it feels like you did anything, the throw is wrong. It's all about science, to be sure, and I think that is a very difficult thing for anyone who hasn't spent a fair amount of time learning "The Gentle Way" to swallow.

Good article! Thanks for posting it!

OP
Shirt Ripper

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
That's interesting. I'd look at it another way and say that one doesn't specifically train for resistance because correct application of the technique provides uke with an extremely limited opportunity to resist.

One doesn't wait around for uke to stabilize and get the grounding to resist. The technique is quick, uke's centre and balance is taken and there's not a lot for him or her to resist. For me that's the whole point of Aikido - if I'm having to brute force a technique, it's a pretty sure sign something's not right - it needs to be that way for me as I'm a bit of a lightweight. ;)

Respects!

I gotcha. I guess I read it as uke providing resistance once being thrown. Basically instead of going with the flow or falling before thrown. Actively practicing from both ends, yes, but not simply caving either. Aikido, as we practice, is not only the learning of "throws" or response to attacks but also the opposite (in a way). Not really learning to attack but as uke we practice actively avoiding the "strike" or contact of the throwing action. In Irimi Nage you aren't just being straight close-lined, you are avoiding the contact well atempting to maintain stability and balance. A secondary lesson, I suppose, but a good one. Hmm.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had a couple of ukes attempt to resist the technique once it had begun and this almost always ends with an injury to them. One of the reasons that we are able to pratice a technique repeatedly is that we understand that rolling out of the technique when thrown will keep us safe...also the reason that so many of the techniques are very dangerous when used in actual defense of oneself.

PRehse

White Belt
Reaction score
In Shodokan Aikido randori resistance is standard, before, during and yes even after a throw. Surprisingly the rate of injury is quite low.

There are several reasons for this but it boils down to training and experience.

A good randori man knows how and when to resist and the point (to paraphrase the borg) where resistance is futile. He also knows when his partner has not got the above quite right and to break off the execution of technique to avoid injury.

Beginners are not tossed into full randori from the beginning. A responsible attitude of the more skilled of the two is key and movement into actual shiai requires demonstrateable abilitity if below Shodan.

A lot of the experience comes from kata training - just like any other Aikido dojo. I would say that resistance training tells you where the holes are in your technique - otherwise how do you know.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
During classical application work I will not resist. During attack lines I will resist only if they make a mistake in technique and do not followup right away. However, I will only do this with higher belts. Lower belts I usually just tap them on the shoulder to warn them a punch could have gotten them. It is interetsing how some people freeze up when they make a mistake.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
if it's the lower belts, that's o.k.. They're just focussing on getting the techniques right, as opposed to the overall picture. If it's the higher belts, then they need to practice more! If you make a mistake, just keep going.

Latest Discussions