Instructors, what have you learned from

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As an instructor what have you learned from beginning students: from the time the first enter your school till the point that they spar, or do one on one drills?

I’ll start with a few things:

I have learned that they will do the most unexpected things at the strangest of times
I have learned that the most gifted athlete may be a lousy student
I have learned that the most uncoordinated student may try the hardest and have the biggest hart
I have learned that teaching basics takes time and most be gone over time and time again
and that not all learn at the same rate or will learn the same lessons at the same time
I have learned that some people will never take what we do seriously and think ut all just fun and games
I have learned that some things I do without thinking about are almost impossible for some people
I have learned not to underestimate anyone

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah all those above and probably more just can't think of them right now.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have learned that:

Every student can, in different ways

Every student is worth the time needed to provide good instruction

Learning is a journey, and everyone travels at their own pace

Never give up

Teaching is the best route to understanding

I have had several students, both currently and in the past, who experienced a variety of difficulties, ranging from long-term injury to diabetes to cerebral palsy to cognitive delay - and the students who continue to try, learn, and improve despite their disabilities are the most inspiring.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
As an instructor what have you learned from beginning students: from the time the first enter your school till the point that they spar, or do one on one drills?

I’ll start with a few things:

I have learned that they will do the most unexpected things at the strangest of times
I have learned that the most gifted athlete may be a lousy student
I have learned that the most uncoordinated student may try the hardest and have the biggest hart
I have learned that teaching basics takes time and most be gone over time and time again
and that not all learn at the same rate or will learn the same lessons at the same time
I have learned that some people will never take what we do seriously and think ut all just fun and games
I have learned that some things I do without thinking about are almost impossible for some people
I have learned not to underestimate anyone

All of the above. In addition, they certainly keep you on your toes and make you think. Many times, they'll ask you questions, some of which catch you a bit off guard. I've always been able to provide them with an answer, but I've walked away afterwards thinking, "Yeah, that was a pretty good question!"

Mike

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can attest to being caught off guard it sure happens and when you least expect it.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A new student reminds you of a phase you your self was one time at. a new students lets you see the raw difference in un predictable methods That differ from the trained students Sort of a free mode not yet confined in learning a set style. A new student makes you find the right words to better train that person. a new student helps to keep your own basic training strong A new student can one day hopefully be much better then your self keeping a strong link to what you have exposed to that person so years later they influence others from the path you helped them obtain

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am often reminded by watching new students that sometimes the "most simple" technique isn't all that simple and might not be all that natural, either.

I am reminded that words have meaning and they might do EXACTLY what you say when the more experienced students do what you mean.

I am reminded that for a beginner...relaxing is HARD!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the importance of teaching them to think like MA-ists, rather than having them rely so heavily on me for answers. So I try to remember to teach the concept behind the technique along with the technique also. Not only will they be better prepared if they need to defend themselves (& I'm not there) they will (ideally) learn to set there own goals & dreams & rely less on what others tell them they should do.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some great previous posts!
I will just add that there is so much more to learn about people (your students) than what might be apparent on the surface.
I recently attended an awards party with a student and I was amazed at her ability to break the ice with everyone there and make friends with half the people attending in about 2 hours! Amazing charisma. It was a lesson in people skills just watching her work the room!
We can learn so much from students if we allow ourselves to be their students too.

Latest Discussions