Inspiring blog post

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Steve for posting that! Really, nice and inspiring!

--Good blog. With a good attitude and good coach, fat is surmountable. Some other obstacles may be less easy to ignore and overcome ...the effects of aging for example.

As I entered my 50's I was a little overweight and way out of shape. I fixed that pretty quickly with a good fitness program. In fact by the time I was about 53 I was lifting nearly as much weight as I did back in my 20s and my cardio was great. But now as I'm getting on towards 60 I'm developing some serious joint issues. The last couple times I tried grappling (something I used to be good at as a kid) I ended up with nasty injuries. --and I wasn't even doing anything that tough! The first involved the lower back, and the second time, it was my knee. Back therapy and knee surgery helped some but the disability and pain lingers. I had really wanted to get into ju-jitsu, but the instructor said it was a bad idea. Now I think he's probably right. Especially considering all the other injuries I've racked up over the years.

Some people can practice physically demanding arts like BJJ into their advanced years. But each of us is different, and it pays to "listen to your body". In my case, I plan to continue practicing my Ving Tsun and Escrima as long as I can. Into my 80's I hope. But an old guy, if he's smart, will approach things differently than a young guy. Now excuse me will I go take some ibuprofen.

Latest Discussions