Information

steven.g.sellars

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all just looking for information I'm new to this some if I sound I little wet behind the ears that's why.
What's the difference between ju-jitsu and Jujutus or is it just the spelling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Japanese guys didn't write this term with the latin alphabet. So, as far as I know, Ju-jutsu, Jujutsu, ju-jitsu and Jujitsu are all different translations of the same Japanese characters (Ju - Soft/Gentle, Jitsu - Art). But it seems to me that Jujutsu is the term more used for traditional (wanabe?, old lineages?) Jujutsu.

By the way, Jiu-Jitsu usually is used for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or sort of modern form of Jiu-Jitsu.

OP
S

steven.g.sellars

White Belt
Reaction score
So Ji-jitsu is the more traditional transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all just looking for information I'm new to this some if I sound I little wet behind the ears that's why.
What's the difference between ju-jitsu and Jujutus or is it just the spelling?

So Ji-jitsu is the more traditional transition?

Not sure if those are just typos, but neither "Jujutsu" or "Ji-jitsu" is any kind of standard spelling.

Since Japanese doesn't use the Latin alphabet, there have been different systems for attempting to transliterate the sounds of the Japanese language into languages which do use the Latin alphabet. Some of the older systems produced spellings like jiu-jitsu while the most widely used system nowadays produces the spelling jujutsu.

The different spellings don't necessarily indicate different martial arts within the jujutsu family, but specific systems which evolved in the West may favor one spelling over another. You can't tell much of anything from the specific spelling being used, though. For that you would need the full name of the jujutsu system in question, such as "Danzan Ryu Jujutsu", "Small Circle Jujitsu", or "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu"

Latest Discussions