Incredible Music Machine

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Amazing!

This incredible machine was built as a collaborative effort between the Robert M. Trammell Music Conservatory and the Sharon Wick School of Engineering at the University of Iowa .. Amazingly, 97% of the machines components came from John Deere Industries and Irrigation Equipment of Bancroft , Iowa ...Yes, farm equipment!

It took the team a combined 13,029 hours of set-up, alignment, calibration, and tuning before filming this video butas you can see it was WELL worth the effort.
It is now on display in the Matthew Gerhard AlumniHall at the University and is already slated to be donated to the Smithsonian.

[yt]_6MHpFIyjcY&NR[/yt]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my heavens! When I was in school I saw a lot of different instruments, including many that were improvised and created - but I have never seen anything like that. That is ASTOUNDING Pam!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dammit! Fell for that hard, I did. :D

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah I read that before I watched the you tube clip. Doesn't matter, its still cool to me!! :)

It is cool! But damn I really wanted that to be real! :lol:

One of my roommates in college loved the idea of building unique instruments as a form of kinetic sculpture - something that was not only musical, but also something mechanically interesting and pleasing to the eye. It was actually that concept that got him fascinated with machinery, and he actually went on to earn a second degree in Mechanical Engineering.

So, when I saw the video, what was going through my head was that this was the sort of thing my roomie had wanted to do, and now 20 years later someone had finally done it. I wanted to believe!! :D

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ummm......Hate to be the one........

http://www.animusic.com/previews/animusic1.php
http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/musicmachine.asp
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/incredible-music-machine.shtml

And several others. It is an example of incredible computer animation, but not of any physical construction. Sorry!

Aw darn! I usually check snopes too and I've seen the animusic videos which this reminded me of, but it looked different and I fell for it. *sigh* Guess I need to be checking snopes more often...if it's too good to be true and all that. Still very cool to watch and I love the music they use for the animusic videos.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me it’s entertaining and harmless. So what if its computer generated?

I love it when people can intrigue me, and this did it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me it’s entertaining and harmless. So what if its computer generated?

I love it when people can intrigue me, and this did it.

Its still a great find. Plus its not a bad thing to get punked over something harmless. Keeps the mind sharp and gives everyone else a good laugh. :lol2:

On a more serious note, I watched some of their other videos and enjoyed them very much. Very original, and creative. My mom might even like some of this. I'm about to spend two weeks with her, I'm trying to find stuff we can do together other than whatever honey-do list she has in mind :D

Latest Discussions