Improving balance

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey people, could somebody give me some tips on how to get good balance? I have pretty good balance but i just want to improve,

thnx for your replies,
Bobby

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the best ways to improve balance is to do forms very slowly with precision and control. This will force you to learn to balance at every point in a sequence of movements.

I also tend to ride elevators standing on one leg which forces me to relax and respond to the unforseen movements.

Jeff

Jagermeister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Practice standing on one leg at a time with your eyes closed, 1 minute each leg everyday. You'd be surprised how difficult it is. Have fun.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a ton of good ways to improve balance. A major key is keep your head straight, your eyes on target and letting your body move around your head. If you're moving a different direction, make sure your head has turned and your eyes are locked in on a target before the body gets there.

As a balance drill, try going from a cat stance to a crane stance with absolute minimal movement and then back. Also good for leg strength.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
One of the best ways to improve balance is to do forms very slowly with precision and control. This will force you to learn to balance at every point in a sequence of movements.

All good suggestions, but this is my personal favorite and I do it daily.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I stand on one leg, and slowly do a side kick, low middle high, then slowly com eback and front kick. I've found increasing balance is kicking slowly.

Start Doing spinning hook kicks continuously, without touching the ground. Stand and round house high low and mid, mix em up. Balance is actually pretty easy to aquire.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:

I also tend to ride elevators standing on one leg which forces me to relax and respond to the unforseen movements.

Jeff
While I agree that what you suggest may help something and benefit you somehow, the muscles you use to move very solow and the tension and weight put on them are not the same tensions and muscles you use to move fast. I'm not sure the skill of balance is transfering to fast motion when you train it at slow motion. Perhaps stability drills could benefit you more.
Sean

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
While I agree that what you suggest may help something and benefit you somehow, the muscles you use to move very solow and the tension and weight put on them are not the same tensions and muscles you use to move fast. I'm not sure the skill of balance is transfering to fast motion when you train it at slow motion. Perhaps stability drills could benefit you more.
Sean
We'll have to disagree on this. Quick movements allow people to cheat and increase the chance for injury. Look to the Taiji people. That's not to say one shouldn't practice quick movement just that it will help less with balance and bobster_ice's martial arts training likely already adresses rapid movement.

Jeff

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
We'll have to disagree on this. Quick movements allow people to cheat and increase the chance for injury. Look to the Taiji people. That's not to say one shouldn't practice quick movement just that it will help less with balance and bobster_ice's martial arts training likely already adresses rapid movement.

Jeff
Addressing why you lose balance can be more beneficial then moving slowly with different muscle groupings. You can not deny that the teatering you do while slow is not even happening when moving fast therefore balance issues you deal with when moving slow don't exist when moving normaly or at a faster rate.
Sean

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think of balance in two different ways: balance in stillness, and balance in motion. I also believe that, though they are somewhat connected, the ability to remain balanced in movement doesn't necessarily follow from skill in balanced stillness (say, standing on one foot).

With that in mind, drills such as push hands are great for training your balance in movement.

Moving through your forms in very slow motion helps to the degree that it helps to develop all of those tiny muscles which aid in keeping our form and balance. The development of these muscles will invariably assist in helping us improve balance in movement. Remaining balanced isn't always a "finesse" thing, sometimes it's merely brute strength.

Something that has helped me a great deal is to remain low. Get real low, like in a horse stance, and try to move around like that. You'll notice a difference after trying this for a while.

Great question!

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Addressing why you lose balance can be more beneficial then moving slowly with different muscle groupings. You can not deny that the teatering you do while slow is not even happening when moving fast therefore balance issues you deal with when moving slow don't exist when moving normaly or at a faster rate.

Sean
I agree that teetering will not help as well as smooth coordinated movement. I believe however, that slow movement will allow you to train the small cooperating muscle groups as well as proprioception to move in a more effective coordinated manner. Other than gravity the balance issues do not change with speed.

I agree that a competent instructor can further help with balance "issues" and help address the basic mechanics that result in lost balance.
In order to move maximally fast, one needs to eventually train fast but initially this will be more likely to create less effective habits.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I think of balance in two different ways: balance in stillness, and balance in motion. I also believe that, though they are somewhat connected, the ability to remain balanced in movement doesn't necessarily follow from skill in balanced stillness (say, standing on one foot).

With that in mind, drills such as push hands are great for training your balance in movement.

Moving through your forms in very slow motion helps to the degree that it helps to develop all of those tiny muscles which aid in keeping our form and balance. The development of these muscles will invariably assist in helping us improve balance in movement. Remaining balanced isn't always a "finesse" thing, sometimes it's merely brute strength.

Something that has helped me a great deal is to remain low. Get real low, like in a horse stance, and try to move around like that. You'll notice a difference after trying this for a while.

Great question!
The mechanism of balance does not change but moving and still balance are related but somewhat different skills. I agree that interactive drills are helpful. Good footwork will give the impression of better balance and is always useful. As we grow older Brute strength wanes so good control of balance is an important skill and may keep you out of a nursing home.

Jeff

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Workout kneeling on or standing on a fit ball
use jelly pads and do exercises / form work on theses
use a skateboard type wobble board too

Latest Discussions