Important Announcement from Professor David James

C

crouton

The past 5 years there has been a growing desire to bring Vee Arnis Jitsu to numerous locations around the world. People from such places as California, Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Kansas, Texas, Australia, England, Italy, Germany, Puerto Rico, Greece, and others have all inquired as to how they can become involved with our system. I am happy to announce that we are now in a position to make that a reality.

Over the past two years I have been developing a program, based entirely on the Vee Arnis Jitsu System, that is simple to use, easy to apply, and is truly effective in its application. That program is called 1-2-3 H.I.T. and it is now ready to be released to the general public.

From August 6th-9th, 2004, at this year's Keepers of the Torch gathering, at the fabulous Gaylord Palms Resort in Orlando, Florida, I will be conducting the first ever instructor certification course in the 1-2-3 H.I.T. program. This program will directly deal with all manners of close quarters threats to include grabs, shoves, wall attacks, rear attacks, and others utilizing the 10 Commandments of Self-Defense with basic level strikes that anyone can learn in a short period of time. This program will aid you in bringing VAJ to your locations, give your existing students a leg up on realistic situations, and grow your adult membership exponentially by giving them what they want, simple and effective street self-defense.

This certification program is being added to the tremendously successful Keepers of the Torch Seminar and Awards Banquet held last year. Once again some of the greatest martial artists of all time will come together to share their knowledge during the seminar and later that night be recognized with induction into the Hall of Fame at a formal dinner.

The host resort, the 5 Star Gaylord Palms has all the amenities one would expect as well as free transportation to and from the major local attractions, such as Disney World, Universal Studios, and Sea World. With this in mind we invite you to bring friends and family to enjoy this unique vacation experience, together.

More information, such as course fees, hotel rates, seminar and dinner costs will be posted on the VAJ website very soon. If you would like to have a complete package mailed to you or if you have specific questions please contact me on the VAJ Website ( http://www.veearnisjitsu.com/contact.htm ) or directly at [email protected].

Also, I am currently seeking members of the martial arts community for induction into the Hall of Fame. If you have someone in mind please reach me at the above addresses as well.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting all of you at this year's event.

Sincerely,

Professor David B. James
Grandmaster of the Vee Arnis Jitsu System

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Professor eh?

What College or University do you teach at? What is your Ph.D in?

There are many terms that are used to define what rank you are in the arts. In Kenpo, you'll have things such as Master, Senior Master, Prof. etc. I'm assuming that there is nothing like that in TKD. So if thats the case, what do your "Masters" refer themselvs as???

Mike

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Different Tae Kwon Do organizations use different terms. We use "Master Instructor" and "Senior Master Instructor". No legitimate TKD organization uses "Professor" to describe a Master Instructor. In the West, the term "Professor" is used to describe an academic Instructor at the College or University level. I don't care if other styles use it. To me, using the term "Professor" to describe someone who teaches martial arts and is not a University instructor (does not hold at least an MA in a chosen field) degrades the term.
Gichen Funakoshi was a Professor, but he taught at the academic level-he was a professional teacher.

OP
B

Black Bear

That's just the title that certain FMA people use. It has a different meaning there.

Some people find it bothersome until they realize that that's the traditional title.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that Dan Inosanto uses the title "Guru". What rank or title would that be the equivalent of?
I do realize that different martial arts (i.e. Filipino, Chinese etc.) use different titles to convey what might be the equivalent ranking in TKD. However, it drives me nuts when a Tae Kwon Do Instructor who is not a University-affiliated academic teacher uses the term Professor. It strikes me as egotistical and pretentious. Tae Kwon Do instructors who are academic teachers are entitled to use Professor before their name, as long as it is in the context of being a school teacher, not a Tae Kwon Do Instructor. Then they should use whatever Tae Kwon Do title they hold. A University professor who is a 2-3rd Dan is not a Tae Kwon Do Professor-he is an Assistant Instructor. Above 3rd Dan, he is still not a Tae Kwon Do Professor, he is a Tae Kwon Do Master or Senior Master Instructor. The capitalized words refer to his actual title in his organization, not necessarily his skill level.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Bear said:
That's just the title that certain FMA people use. It has a different meaning there.

Some people find it bothersome until they realize that that's the traditional title.
I don't know about that. Remy Presas got his title because he was a university phys. ed. instructor--but I'm not sure it's all that common in FMA otherwise. For example, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Prof. Bacon, Prof. Buot, etc.

OP
C

crouton

The latest information on the 1-2-3 HIT Instructor Certification Course as well as the Keepers of the Torch event can be found on the Vee Arnis Jitsu website – http://www.veearnisjitsu.com . We hope to see you there!

OP
C

crouton

An information packet on the 1-2-3 H.I.T. Instructor Certification Course, taking place this August in Florida, has been posted on the the Vee Arnis Jitsu website ( www.veearnisjitsu.com ). For your convenience, you can reserve your spot as well as purchase Keepers of the Torch tickets online. Practitioners from all over the world will be attending this event, you don't want to miss it!

Latest Discussions