Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the Genius has told you.

It's true. Law of averages, etc. There's 200,000+ PC viruses. worms, trojans, malwares etc. Mac viruses/worms/etc are under 5,000.

I've managed a number of email servers, hardly ever see Mac viruses. Caught PC ones by the thousands. The last year or so though, been seeing more and more Mac Malware on the radar.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How often do HP computers get viruses? I got a new hp laptop last year, never had any viruses so far and I might not get one but was just curious about the chances of getting one

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do HP computers get viruses? I got a new hp laptop last year, never had any viruses so far and I might not get one but was just curious about the chances of getting one

What's the operating system? Lots of manufacturers make computers, from Acer to Zenith. Apple is unique today in using their own proprietary and separate Operating System (OS). Most probably run some form of Microsoft Windows. A sizable minority run some form of Linux OS. There are probably some oddballs out there, and your seeing some other stuff in tablets (Google OS, Android, Microsoft has theirs, I'm sure others can spell out more of them).

Your vulnerability to viruses isn't so much the manufacturer -- but the OS, and then how you've protected it with antivirus and anti-malware software. Microsoft is the most targeted, and most vulnerable. Lots of reasons for that... Apple is covered elsewhere in this thread. Don't know how vulnerable Linux is; it's a niche right now, for the most part.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's true. Law of averages, etc. There's 200,000+ PC viruses. worms, trojans, malwares etc. Mac viruses/worms/etc are under 5,000.

I've managed a number of email servers, hardly ever see Mac viruses. Caught PC ones by the thousands. The last year or so though, been seeing more and more Mac Malware on the radar.

I saw a really cool Mac Virus (Fake Virus Alert). And what made it cool, and I am not kidding, was the graphics were so much better than what you get on a PC.

Mac Viruses are on the rise because Mac usage is on the rise

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What's the operating system? Lots of manufacturers make computers, from Acer to Zenith. Apple is unique today in using their own proprietary and separate Operating System (OS). Most probably run some form of Microsoft Windows. A sizable minority run some form of Linux OS. There are probably some oddballs out there, and your seeing some other stuff in tablets (Google OS, Android, Microsoft has theirs, I'm sure others can spell out more of them).

Your vulnerability to viruses isn't so much the manufacturer -- but the OS, and then how you've protected it with antivirus and anti-malware software. Microsoft is the most targeted, and most vulnerable. Lots of reasons for that... Apple is covered elsewhere in this thread. Don't know how vulnerable Linux is; it's a niche right now, for the most part.

There are Linux viruses but not anywhere near the number that target Microsoft Products. But Linux servers are used in enterprise and linux is underneath OS X so Linux is becoming a bigger target as well.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no idea what any of those technical terms are or mean... I can get on the Internet (on my phone), Microsoft and use USB drives, anything else computer related if confusing don't know how to work it

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah as an average for sure. The ones that worry me now for friends and family, are the ransomware emails, pretty nasty. CryptLocker in particular.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I spoke to somebody who works at a computer repair store, not an Apple store, and he said that although its usually PCs that get viruses, that Macs sometimes get viruses too. As I said this was not one of those Apple stores and they mostly work on PCs but they work on Macs too. So, it looks like I will be taking my Mac in to him.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I spoke to somebody who works at a computer repair store, not an Apple store, and he said that although its usually PCs that get viruses, that Macs sometimes get viruses too. As I said this was not one of those Apple stores and they mostly work on PCs but they work on Macs too. So, it looks like I will be taking my Mac in to him.

Oh for crying out loud....look at post #10 and then go directly to post #4

I work on both PC and Mac