Illegal immigrant kills LEO

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/06/us/AP-US-Utah-Deputy-Shot.html

The man charged with killing a Utah sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop was captured while sleeping in a shed Wednesday, three days after saying in a MySpace posting that he was feeling ''crazy'' and ''ready for whatever is next.''

Roberto Miramontes Roman, 37, was captured around 8 a.m. at a trailer park near Beaver, about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, said Beaver County Sheriff Cameron Noel. Immigration officials say he is in the U.S. illegally and has been deported three times.

According to an e-mail from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Roman entered the country legally from Mexico in 1990. He was deported in 1998 after a criminal conviction in Utah and arrested twice when attempting to re-enter the country illegally in Arizona and California. Roman was convicted on federal immigration charges in Arizona and served time in a federal prison.

''Now we can focus on the victim,'' sheriff's spokeswoman Lindsay Mitchell said. ''It will give us some closure.''

Greathouse Fox, a mother of two and a five-year veteran of the sheriff's department, was found dead from a gunshot wound on a rural highway shortly after 4th District Court papers say she stopped Roman in a Cadillac registered to Chavez.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
...and the crazy coincidence that lead to this POS getting captured.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010601574.html

Shortly before the shooting, another deputy saw two cars meet on a dirt road and radioed to Greathouse Fox to stop one of them. The other car was traced back to Greathouse Fox's brother, Ryan Greathouse, who told deputies he bought drugs from Roman and another man during the encounter.

The brother-sister connection was a bizarre coincidence, authorities said. The family is planning a funeral for Monday in Delta, Mitchell said.

Ryan Greathouse later gave police Roman's cell phone number and information about Roman's family that led to an unsuccessful search of a west Salt Lake City home hours after the shooting.

A license plate from the Cadillac was removed and bolted to an orange Corvette, which police found outside the Salt Lake house, court papers say.

Can you imagine? This brothers decicion to pruchase dope from this POS was what put his own sister in the time and place that lead to her death.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if I can properly express what I am feeling.

There is a sad hollowness in knowing that someone that agreed to put their life on their line to protect their community reached the end of their watch too soon.

The emptiness is more painful when seeing that it didn't have to happen...

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
So let me get this straight:

An alien illegally on US soil, committed a crime on US soil where a US citizen( and an LEO into the bargain) was injured or killed.

Right.

Automatic death sentence to be carried out the day of conviction.

An example must be made.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a society, we do a very poor job of protecting those who protect us.

When the (in)justice system becomes one big catch and release game, police are often the first to suffer.... the four cops murdered in the Northwest being prime examples of this, their killer a home grown monstrosity who never should've been on the street.

While one could theoretically claim it matters little to the murdered cop whether they are gunned down by an illegal alien or a descendant of the Mayflower settlers, the simple fact is that a porous border placed this officer in a threat situation that never should have existed.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope that everyone involved gets what they deserve, I hope the shooter get a lethal injection and the Deputy's brother takes it to heart and never is allowed to get out from under his part in it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
So let me get this straight:

An alien illegally on US soil, committed a crime on US soil where a US citizen( and an LEO into the bargain) was injured or killed.

Right.

Automatic death sentence to be carried out the day of conviction.

An example must be made.

Right. All the safeguards against wrongful execution can be thrown overboard because in a highly emotionally charged case, noone lies or cheats, and all parties act like logical, rational beings.

Look there was just a thread in the study about someone who got exonerated after a wrongful conviction for murder where the DA lied and cheated to get his conviction. There are many cases like this, inside and outside the US. In the UK, the birmingham six were convicted and in prison for 30 years before someone found out the DA and the police had conspired to get some convenient suspects convicted because of public pressure. Don't you think there were cries for blood, similar to yours just now? And there was 'evidence' and there were 'witnesses' just like in this case.

You can't just abandon all procedures because you feel the need to retaliate. Everybody is subject to those emotions. I as much as you. But that is exactly why those procedures were put in place: to prevent miscarriage of justice caused by emotions.

What happened was really bad, and he probably did it and should pay the price for it.
There is a good reason for the procedures we have. It's what separates us from those people. If we abandon that we are no better than them.

Latest Discussions