If you had a time machine that could travel into the past, what era would you visit?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about we go the other way? Anybody here have any thoughts about going forward in time instead of backward?

I imagine the danger would be if everything ended, say, a thousand years from now, and we went there, maybe we'd be really screwed.

BandMachine.Jpeg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How about we go the other way? Anybody here have any thoughts about going forward in time instead of backward?

I imagine the danger would be if everything ended, say, a thousand years from now, and we went there, maybe we'd be really screwed.

View attachment 23095
If you see any Eloi or Morlocks, you know things have gone awry and the crazies won the day.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you see any Eloi or Morlocks, you know things have gone awry and the crazies won the day.

Morlocks I can certainly do without. But I feel that some of those Eloi gals might need some self defense training. What kind of time traveller would I be to deny them?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tou do know, then invented soap in 3000 bc, not washing was optional, not an obligation

Just out of curiosity. how many people do you think took the soap option?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

View attachment 23095
nah.. not worried about the future. I'll see that coming

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
probebly quite a lot, dependent on the culture, the greeks and the roman were very big on personal hygene, the french not so much

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Would be a cultural thing. I would bet that the Romans were probably pretty clean people, but can't imagine that personal hygiene was overly important during the dark ages. Everything I've ever heard about Japan and China suggests that cleanliness is very important to them. Though interestingly, there was a reference to China in my quick jaunt through the internet saying that soaps weren't introduced there until the modern era, but that they had a form of detergent that has been around for a long time.

Sidenote: detergents and soaps are not the same thing, and what most Americans think of as soap is actually a detergent. Cheap "bars", body wash, shampoo, etc. are all detergents.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea, you know it wasn't readily available. I immediately go to the 'wild west'. Simply put, survival was more important than smelling good.
but hygene and survival are closly liknked, armys have aleays enforced hygene, as its better id they dont all die of dysentery

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Though the French invented the bidet...
that right at the tip of the list of thibgs i necer exspected to google

and maybe maybe not, no one knows, thefirst writen referance to it was in italy, though what most peolke call a bidet today was an american invention

it was patented as the " anal douch" for some reason that didnt catch on and they went with bidet

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Though the French invented the bidet...
The only Bidet I know of is the poor man's Bidet. That's when you get splash back from dropping a load..ha ha ha.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The only Bidet I know of is the poor man's Bidet. That's when you get splash back from dropping a load..ha ha ha.
I'm all for the bidet. Was introduced to them in Saudi Arabia during desert storm. They were ubiquitous. Not all that common in America, though they are becoming a lot more common now, since companies have introduced toilet seat bidets that can be attached to an existing American style toilet. I even saw one for sale at the Costco the other day... and since you won't need TP, the next time we have a pandemic, you can skip the lines trying to buy toilet paper. :D

Though once again, this is an area where we're lagging behind the rest of the world. Japan has some killer toilets. The fanciest ones have built in white noise emitters, fragrance emitters, LED lights, heated seats, and warm butt cleaning water. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find one with a massage function. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
that right at the tip of the list of thibgs i necer exspected to google

and maybe maybe not, no one knows, thefirst writen referance to it was in italy, though what most peolke call a bidet today was an american invention

it was patented as the " anal douch" for some reason that didnt catch on and they went with bidet
Good to know. So, when you refer to someone as a bidet, that's shorthand for anal douche. LOL.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i would go to any distant time or place but i gotta be back in time to poop and sleep in my own bed. i prefer toilet paper to a stick and a bed without flees.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm all for the bidet. Was introduced to them in Saudi Arabia during desert storm. They were ubiquitous. Not all that common in America, though they are becoming a lot more common now, since companies have introduced toilet seat bidets that can be attached to an existing American style toilet. I even saw one for sale at the Costco the other day... and since you won't need TP, the next time we have a pandemic, you can skip the lines trying to buy toilet paper. :D

Though once again, this is an area where we're lagging behind the rest of the world. Japan has some killer toilets. The fanciest ones have built in white noise emitters, fragrance emitters, LED lights, heated seats, and warm butt cleaning water. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find one with a massage function. :D

ha ha ha. all of the above. and #35 funny too.

So the theme I'm picking up is make sure you time travel in this and make sure it has a Bidet
hqdefault.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i would go to any distant time or place but i gotta be back in time to poop and sleep in my own bed. i prefer toilet paper to a stick and a bed without flees.
nah just find some hanging clothes and wipe your butt on that lol

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would be interested in things like this as well. To see what the stories were all about as they really happened. Not only to see it but to also live a little bit of it. I'm thinking I can take a bout a week of not bathing before I decide I had enough of the experience. I bet everyone stanked back in ancient times lol.
Seeing it happen in real time is where it’s at. It’s like watching videos of sports from previous eras. It definitely loses something. I’ve seen videos of guys Muhammad Ali, Wilt Chamberlain, Babe Ruth, etc play. There’s no real atmosphere to it like watching something broadcast live. Stuff that I saw live lost something when watching it later on. Tyson vs Douglas for example. Some of that is you know how it’s going to end, but there’s more to it than that.

Reading a book about what happened doesn’t begin to tell the story and make it real. Going back and seeing it would be a totally different perspective.

Latest Discussions