If you could do it all over?

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For people with 4 or more years of training (at one place) if you had it all to do over again what 1 or 2 styles would you pick? Would you still choose what you do now, or have you seen something that would have been better for you but you are sticking it out with what you started?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still would have chosen Taekwondo. For the high spinning kicks and for the cardiovascular overall health. But I wish I would had been advised better how to do stretches to help with flexibility. Didn't know until I started reading more after reaching BB, so am teaching a stretching class next week to white belts. Sadly, not many have signed up. All I can do is try. :idunno: TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd do exactly what i already did. TKD and Kenpo although I'd like to be more proficient in a JJ art but There's only so much time in a day.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been with Horizon Martial Arts since "97"
The School is open to all forms of Martial Arts but is 1st FMA.....

It has placed home to Ju Jitsu ,, JKD,,, Grappling,
,, Kempo, , ,Bondo & Fencing.........

I have seen many talented Martial Artist through
this school as well Of Watching those Who called it home.

I contiune to crosstrain every were I can
But Horizon is Home....

Primo

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh, do it all over again. I'd probably find two or three different arts and stick with them for longer periods, rather than what I've done before.
I can honestly see the benefits of sticking to one style/school as a base but do also see benefits of diversifying because I'm still feel that one style doesn't cover everything.
But if wishes were fishes, we'd have a good dinner instead of wanting to go back in time where we can't. :D :asian: :asian:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great question? My son and I have been training in Universal kempo for 6 years now no-regrets..love the style and people. Our last teacher from traditiona karate was great too,but got tired of teaching and quit(only one school-private one). When you have a chance to experience another school it gives you a chance to compare. If we had to start over? We will stay we Universal Kempo! One more thing when the Arts have more than one school it gives you a chance to go to other classes and teachers when you move or visiting another place,you still can train. Universal has over 23 school in Hawaii and over 40 in the mainland. If the teacher leaves someone will take over.
Aloha

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only study has been into the foray of American Kenpo really, but I have to admit, given the opportunity and money I would still study Kenpo, but would add another style to compliment it, probably something like JJ or some weapons style.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would do the same art all over again- Parker's Kenpo. It has become such a part of me and I feel like I am having withdrawals when I have to be away from it for long. The only change I would make is I would have liked to have found my current instructor sooner and not gone thru all the instructor changes (and therefore setbacks in my training) that I had to. I would have started with and stayed with him the whole time- he is the most stable instructor I've ever had.

I also would repeat my Modern Arnis training.

:asian: :karate:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always stayed with the same style, but have changed schools along the way (various reasons). If ever given the ability to go back in time to start over, and didn't make the choices to change schools, would I have ended up where I am now? Probably not. I am very happy where I currently train. All the things that happened over the past 20 years since I first picked up martial arts (good and bad) added to my life experience of who I am.

Considering all that, would I then go back in time to redo some things? It wouldn't be easy, but I wouldn't go back, knowing now what I've learned so far.

- Ceicei

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
For people with 4 or more years of training (at one place) if you had it all to do over again what 1 or 2 styles would you pick? Would you still choose what you do now, or have you seen something that would have been better for you but you are sticking it out with what you started?
Whike I loved the arts that I chose when I first started, I would have started with who I am with now (DKI) I believe that I would have been a lot better than what I am.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would stick with what i am at right now. I mean i really did a lot of reserch before I decided, and I belive I made the right choice....I am going to be in for a full year this Feb.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have asked myself that same question numerous times....although I wish I could have started MA when I was a kid (wanted to try it when I was 8 yrs old but wasn't allowed--it would have been much easier on my body and I'd be in much better shape, would have had more self-esteem & might not have ended up in certain situations, etc.), over the past couple of years I have to come to realize that I should stop torturing myself with "what ifs"* and to stop holding it against my father for not letting me try it--"what's done is done." I have to look forward and continue on my journey, having faith in the belief that it was meant to happen the way it did. Besides, if I had tried it when I was a bratty kid (and I was one), would I have appreciated the Art or what martial artists have to go through as much as I do now? Probably not. No regrets, and keep going forward!! :ultracool

Respectfully,
Gin-Gin :asian:

*unless they're "what ifs" to Kenpo techniques;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same Arts, Same path good or bad it all as made me a better person and a better MA'er as well. The path to enlightment is a well traveled rood with bumps and bruises along the way. Without those bumps one cannot grow and without growth one cannot reach enlightment. Just my 2 cents worth.....

Latest Discussions