if my school offers more than one art should I look at those too instead of boxing?

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ALL the arts mentioned here are generally trained as sports, not as self defence arts. Competition rules change how an art is being practised immensly. All of them can be turned into self defence arts, but that depends on the school or what additional training you have, especially with the Eastern arts. Do they offer realistic self-defence training?

Boxing and wrestling tend to make you quite tough which is an advantage but studying only those won't make you an all round fighter (as you won't be learning kicks and elbow strikes etc).

The best advice is that you try different arts until you find what suits you best and you enjoy the most. That's the one that you are going to excel in and that turns you into a good fighter.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
. It's not sparring, we have debates sometimes, conversations most times but we don't spar, we don't play winners and losers

You play winners and loosers. Every time you talk down to someone you should expect something back. But you just seem to be surprised and offended.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You play winners and loosers. Every time you talk down to someone you should expect something back. But you just seem to be surprised and offended.

I am not 'surprised and offended', you called posters on one thread 'duchebags' you have said often that posting here is sparring, Chris Parker has said repeatedly you don't know what you are talking about and Xue Sheng called it as it was, many agreed with him. So enough. It ends here.

While we may not have a legal duty of care on here, I think we have a moral one and the advice we give people should at least be safe advice, it may be advice from hard won experience or experience gained from others but whatever it is it should not be egging on people to do things that may not be appropriate. Advice from here should not lead people to think fighting on the street is acceptable.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not 'surprised and offended', you called posters on one thread 'duchebags' you have said often that posting here is sparring, Chris Parker has said repeatedly you don't know what you are talking about and Xue Sheng called it as it was, many agreed with him. So enough. It ends here.

Ok. Two sepparate isdues here. So I will adresss them both separately.

So this issue.

Bwahahahahaha............

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While we may not have a legal duty of care on here, I think we have a moral one and the advice we give people should at least be safe advice, it may be advice from hard won experience or experience gained from others but whatever it is it should not be egging on people to do things that may not be appropriate. Advice from here should not lead people to think fighting on the street is acceptable.

Now i got that out of the way.

Fighting in the steet is mostly not acceptable. And i haven't recommend it unless it was for a good reason.

You did not understand what i wrote. And when i said that. We wound up here.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just go box. Learning how to punch people in the face really, really well will be a great asset to any self-defence training you might one day do. Plus boxing is super fun. Of all the unarmed stuff I do, it's some of my favourite training. Not that I claim to be a good boxer by any stretch of the imagination. My boxing is nearly as bad as my Judo. ;) We are starting a unit on BKB in the new year which has me super stoked though.

Latest Discussions