More alike than different

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading through yet another thread that turned into an art vs art testosterone throwdown, I feel compelled to share some interestig insights that have come to me in recent weeks.

I've been studying MA's most of my life. I've been exposed to a wide variety of arts ot a greater o rlesser degree...though I only claim dan rank in TKD and I do not necessarily claim deep or masterful knowledge of any. that's my disclaimer and hopefully you kind and expereinced MT posters will ve able to add to, intellignetly debate and deepen my thoughts here.

A long time ago I remember hearing or reading that fundamentally, all martial arts are really the same. At the time, I was young and I knew better...that was totally WRONG! How could the Aikido I was studying be the same as Karate? How could boxing be the same as Karate? Wreslting liek Boxing? Preposterous!

I am here to say that I was wrong and that wise person was right. If I could remember who it was I'd thank them personally.

Lately, I've been blesed with the fantastic opportunity to really expand my knowledge base and crosstrain. In addition to my preparations for 2nd dan in TKD that include some study in Shotokan karate kata alongside the TKD, I jave been involved in an 8 week boxing seminar with a former pro boxer and have had the opportunity to work out with former lightweight champ calvin groves. I have also been allowed to work out once a week with a Budo Taijutsu training group once a week for the past month and get exposure and training to that art.

To this corsstraining I bring an Aikido, Goju karate, Wing chun kung fu, t'ai chi backgorund along with the TKD I currently study. I also go to seminars whenever possible so have done a bit of BJJ, kali, krav maga, and kobudo here and there (enough to say I've got a flavor for those arts if not some very basic skills).

It started with the boxing. I noticed that but for the focus on hand work...a lot of the conditioning and drills were similar to what we were teaching our comp team kids. Hit and move, never stay still, stay balanced, work the angles, control the space in the ring and exploit openings. Work the jab (cut kick), counter punch (counter kick). I was really astounded at how much of the startegy, tactics and training was transferable. I even picked up some really good training drills.

Then I got to expereince the taijutsu. After an intial adjkustment to develop more "flow" in my movements...I started feeling comfortable and familiar. It then hit me that what we were doing was very much like high level aikido. Joing with an attack, unbalancing the uke, often using atemi (strikes)...which for where I originally studied Aikido was mroe advanced stuff...and then finish. The "play" where you went from teh shown techynque and started working variations based on what uke gives you 9as they try to resist) was something else.

From there I found myselgf doing similar work in my SD stuff for TKD...tactics were a littel different but the principles were the same. I find that in a "fe holds barred" Sd training session...regardless of where I am at...I'm moving and reacting the same. I'm not doing TKD, AIKIDO, Taijutsu...I'm doing all of it.

When I think about the BJJ I've been exposed to...it has some similarioties to Aikido in that it's nt about force on force but rather dominating psoitonal advantages and unbalancing and controlling the oppoenent base don what they give you...which is very cimlar to his idea in taijutsu of taking availabel space ansd exploting what uke gives you...which is very similar to boxing and tkd...fighters who force situations lose, those who exploit what is there win.

Am I on to something here? Am i totally full of it? Are we all more alike than different despite what we practice?

Peace,
Erik

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's interesting that you bring up the cross training in boxing now. I have been thinking the last couple months that some sort of boxing camp/seminar/training or whatever would a great addition to my current studies and give me that little extra *whatever* to really bring everything I'm doing together.

With that said, I prefer to think that you aren't full of it and that you are really on to something!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All martial arts have some commonality, while each focusses on different aspects of offense and defense, with overlap to greater or lesser degrees.

All martial arts teach some level of self defense. All martial arts both require and involve some level of conditioning.

Most martial arts have a sparring component. The strikes vs. grappling varries between them, but distance and timing is equally crucial to each.

While I don't know that I'd agree that all martial arts are the "same," would agree that all are equally good. I think that people are generally more well suited to a group of arts, depending upon build and personal manner (I'm definitely built for karate/taekwondo being 6'4/200 pounds, lean, short torsoed and very long of arm and leg), but now you're down to preferrences. And I've seen plenty of guys with the classic wrestlers build excel at taekwondo and I've seen some long lanky wrestlers. Train hard and correctly in anything and you'll do well.

Interesting topic.

Daniel

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's sprt pf wjhat i'm getting at...although arts are different (especially at teh beginning), over time I'm seeing mroe tru overlap. Not so much in whether one art is superior to another, but literally in how I execute the art.

Earlier in my training, they all felt different and I had to work very hard to "change gears." Now not so much. I feel similar in boxing as i do in tkd, taijutsu has a similar feeling to Aikido...which is starting to feel similar to my TKd sd stuff. It's a wierd phenomenon.

Peace,
Erik

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Didn't Bruce Lee say something like, "A punch is just like a punch"?

I mean, there are only so many ways to punch somebody.

Latest Discussions