if my school offers more than one art should I look at those too instead of boxing?

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I forgot to mention judo on the list of arts at my school. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why are failed ring fighters better street fighters? why are better ring fighters worse?

What? to be honest, that's a nonsense. Please don't let our resident troll wind you up into taking a stand up art just because he finds it amusing to. I think you need to get this 'street fighter' thing out of your mind, people who go out looking for fights in bars, car parks, clubs etc are scum.
There is no such thing as a 'street fighter' If you want self defence training find somewhere that teaches self defence. Self defence is a totally different thing from competitive fighting. If you take a bit of boxing have a fight or two then go out looking for 'street fights' then you are going to find yourself in all sorts of trouble from all sorts of areas.
If you want to compete you can do that in all the styles you mention, it's a choice, it's neither honourable nor dishonourable to compete, it just is.
Try all the styles, see what you like, train it, enjoy it, grow in it. Do what is right for you.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks. I think self defense is what I like. I actually want to become 'a fighter' though. my goal in the really long run is to be able to defend from multiple opponents. Is that too movie-like unrealistic?

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think competing is fine IMO because its cool. But my main thing is self defense and competing is just something that is also cool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What? to be honest, that's a nonsense. Please don't let our resident troll wind you up into taking a stand up art just because he finds it amusing to. I think you need to get this 'street fighter' thing out of your mind, people who go out looking for fights in bars, car parks, clubs etc are scum.
There is no such thing as a 'street fighter' If you want self defence training find somewhere that teaches self defence. Self defence is a totally different thing from competitive fighting. If you take a bit of boxing have a fight or two then go out looking for 'street fights' then you are going to find yourself in all sorts of trouble from all sorts of areas.
If you want to compete you can do that in all the styles you mention, it's a choice, it's neither honourable nor dishonourable to compete, it just is.
Try all the styles, see what you like, train it, enjoy it, grow in it. Do what is right for you.

Because you missed this bit.

Better ring fighters are better but won't street fight generally. But you do see the mediocre ring guys making themselves dangerous on the street.

It is generally where you go if you don't have the discipline to make it competitively. But still want to punch people in the head.

It dosent really matter if you do stand up or wrestling or both at once. You can learn different disciplines at the same time. People do it with every other skill that is out there.

I like it because I get a grasp of the meta mechanics of how martial arts works.

And you missed this bit as to what martial arts to do.

Do as many as time permits. The difference help you understand the reasons that the martial arts went down that path.

Last edited:
OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think competing is fine IMO because its cool. But my main thing is self defense and competing is just something that is also cool.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You will get better at fighting if you compete.

There is another element of self defence which is your basic personal safety. Things like locking doors,choosing safe places to go out,defensive driving. All sorts of things. Basically none of these will be martial arts skills except mabye incidentally. So if your martial arts instructor is a lock smith then you can get home hardening skills. But the trick there is to go out find the experts in their relevant skills and learn as much as you can about how to get through life.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
they also have judo at my school but I forgot to mention that. lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
they also have judo at my school but I forgot to mention that. lol.

OK. So if say you had 6 classes a week of judo and you like judo. Do that. If before or after judo there is a boxing class. And your body holds up. Do that too. If it is hip hop dancing and you have time do that.

Learning a skill is better than sitting on the couch.
Now if you had to give up your judo classes to do boxing. You will not be as good at either as quickly.

And when you get up in the rnks of one or the other. You may need to gear the training towards one or the other physically. So wrestling might need more strength work and boxing might need more road work.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Double post.
Kung fu cat.
images

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I feel like BJJ sounds cooler than judo but I'm trying boxing first.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you missed this bit.

Better ring fighters are better but won't street fight generally. But you do see the mediocre ring guys making themselves dangerous on the street.

It is generally where you go if you don't have the discipline to make it competitively. But still want to punch people in the head.

It dosent really matter if you do stand up or wrestling or both at once. You can learn different disciplines at the same time. People do it with every other skill that is out there.

I like it because I get a grasp of the meta mechanics of how martial arts works.

And you missed this bit as to what martial arts to do.

Do as many as time permits. The difference help you understand the reasons that the martial arts went down that path.

That is a complete load of unrelated phrases that mean absolutely nothing. There's is no correlation between how well you fight competitively and whether you brawl in the street.
'The reasons martial arts went down that path', what on earth are you talking about? what art went down where? what a load of old bubkes. :(

Honestly? I think you are pushing this poster towards fighting and not in a good way. I think if he follows your 'advice' he's going to get hurt.

Doing as many martial arts as you can isn't good advice, if you want to know a little about martial arts instead of getting a good grounding in one or two sure do as many as you can in a week but that's not what martial arts is about, you can't skim the surface of half a dozen different arts and hope to be good at them, you won't even be good at one.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a complete load of unrelated phrases that mean absolutely nothing. There's is no correlation between how well you fight competitively and whether you brawl in the street.
'The reasons martial arts went down that path', what on earth are you talking about? what art went down where? what a load of old bubkes. :(

Honestly? I think you are pushing this poster towards fighting and not in a good way. I think if he follows your 'advice' he's going to get hurt.

Doing as many martial arts as you can isn't good advice, if you want to know a little about martial arts instead of getting a good grounding in one or two sure do as many as you can in a week but that's not what martial arts is about, you can't skim the surface of half a dozen different arts and hope to be good at them, you won't even be good at one.

I understand you struggle understanding some concepts. But that does not make them rubbish.

Ok. So put simply. I have seen fighters with talent but less dedication turn towards street fighting. Rather than continue down the martial arts path. My take on that is as i have described is because they get quicker easier victories.

My advice was not to travel down that path. But instead to take that desire to fight and put it towards a more productive goal.

My view is If you only master one art then your view on martial arts becomes limited. You cannot apreciate why other martial arts function as they do. And therefore possibly even miss why your martial art functions as it does.

you dont give anything to the arts mearly reproduce what has already been done. You become a copy of a copy.

I think if you are to develop a passion for martial arts it can include arts other than your own.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand you struggle understanding some concepts. But that does not make them rubbish.

Ok. So put simply. I have seen fighters with talent but less dedication turn towards street fighting. Rather than continue down the martial arts path. My take on that is as i have described is because they get quicker easier victories.

My advice was not to travel down that path. But instead to take that desire to fight and put it towards a more productive goal.

My view is If you only master one art then your view on martial arts becomes limited. You cannot apreciate why other martial arts function as they do. And therefore possibly even miss why your martial art functions as it does.

you dont give anything to the arts mearly reproduce what has already been done. You become a copy of a copy.

I think if you are to develop a passion for martial arts it can include arts other than your own.

Ah dear boy, now that made me really laugh, that I struggle with concepts! After you were schooled by a very good martial artist on here because you failed to understand even the most basic martial arts concepts, don't understand it's history and generally show such ignorance that he actually wrote what amounts to an essay on how much your ignorance compasses.
What you have 'seen' in your small town doesn't equate to what is actually true, it merely mean the people in your town are perhaps rather inbred.
And it's 'merely' by the way. Now trot along and beat someone up, because goodness knows you've boasted of it enough, oh does that mean you are a poor martial artist?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah dear boy, now that made me really laugh, that I struggle with concepts! After you were schooled by a very good martial artist on here because you failed to understand even the most basic martial arts concepts, don't understand it's history and generally show such ignorance that he actually wrote what amounts to an essay on how much your ignorance compasses.
What you have 'seen' in your small town doesn't equate to what is actually true, it merely mean the people in your town are perhaps rather inbred.
And it's 'merely' by the way. Now trot along and beat someone up, because goodness knows you've boasted of it enough, oh does that mean you are a poor martial artist?

Yeah but I do know what an arm drag, a hip escape a low single and other basic mma terminology. and can have a technical discussion on practical martial arts usage. Concepts that are foreign to you.

So I have to be worth something. But feel free to correct my spelling. That is probably important as well.

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would advise you to try all of them and see what fits you the best. All MA training can have real world application's if you should ever have to defend yourself.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I do know what an arm drag, a hip escape a low single and other basic mma terminology. and can have a technical discussion on practical martial arts usage. Concepts that are foreign to you.

So I have to be worth something. But feel free to correct my spelling. That is probably important as well.

Semantics, what a martial art calls something doesn't mean everybody who doesn't do that style knows what it is, you for example don't know the Japanese names of every technique in karate, if I showed you would probably know what it is so please, don't try to insult me by saying I don't know what the 'concept' is ( though you actually mean techniques not concept), I don't know what the technique is when it's called by another name especially when the poster uses a localised or slang name.
I don't know why you insist on being perverse with people, I assume it's because you said you regard conversations on here as being sparring and you think you have to win. It's not sparring, we have debates sometimes, conversations most times but we don't spar, we don't play winners and losers.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Not pointing fingers at anyone specifically, but if it is not constructive to the thread, don't type it.

Wes Yager (seasoned)
MT Senior Moderator.

Latest Discussions