if my school offers more than one art should I look at those too instead of boxing?

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't yet joined boxing but I have BJJ, wrestling, TKD, Karate, and boxing to choose from. Does anyone have a recommendation? I like boxing but I feel I want the one with the best teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do as many as time permits. The difference help you understand the reasons that the martial arts went down that path.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with any of them. Much depends on what you want out of it, the instructors, etc. Hard to make any kind of recommendation without more information.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I also want to learn self defense but I want to be a really good fighter in general.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I want to be prepared for the most situations.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're completely new and never trained to fight, in general, a pure Boxing gym that produces fighters, will turn you into a fighter the fastest. MMA would be the close 2nd. Schools that produces fighters who competes FULL contact for knockouts are usually the legit ones.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so then, I learn to box to become a fighter fast. Obviously, everyone takes a different amount of time but I'd like a good goal in a year or so. What would be a good goal? To be able to spar with someone with experience?

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
to be able to defend myself from one person? etc?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
to be able to defend myself from one person? etc?

You could be in the ring inside a year if you are dedicated to it. But you generally cant mix ring fighting and street fighting successfully. You will just not have the time or energy.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so should I learn to spar and then do street fighting? Isn't sparring a necessity for street fighting?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also want to learn self defense but I want to be a really good fighter in general.

First piece of advice....don't feed the trolls :)

Next, there are a lot of people on here will a huge experience of all sorts of martial arts. However to give you proper information they need a bit more information. For example you say you want to become a fighter, what sort of fighter? Do you want to win competitions, aim for the Olympics, the UFC or just challenge yourself now and again?
Do you just fancy a stand up style or do you fancy grappling or both?
You cannot in reality do five styles and do all of them justice, your best bet at first is to try each of them and see what you like. See how you get on in class, see if the style 'fits' you and if it fits with your life. Then choose, karate and TKD are similar enough that you don't want to train both, BJJ and wrestling are also similar enough that you don't want to doth both at this point. Quite often people chose a stand up style and a ground style, just two as a beginner is enough, they won't confuse you and just doing two will give you the time to train properly. Years down the line when you know your core styles then branch out and have a look at similar things.
What you choose as your stand up and your ground style is up to you, as I said see what suits you, where you fill you fit in. Forget this 'street' fighting stuff, it's macho nonsense.
You need to think carefully about what you want then talk to coaches, the real experts who will help and guide you towards your gaols.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have another sport (called parkour) I like so I probably should do one art. I did some TKD and some boxing when I was younger. i was an orange belt (4th belt) in TKD before I quit, which was longer than boxing. Anyways, that was a long time ago and was about as long as I did boxing for total and I'm sure I'd have to start as a beginner again in either regardless of which one stand up art I pick. I'm actually planning on sticking to it this time.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I mean about the same time as boxing, maybe a little longer.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parkour is well known these days.
If you don't know which martial art to do then go to each class and see what they are doing, see how you would fit in, how you feel about the instructor and whether you feel it's the style for you. When you walk into a class and you feel it's right then that's the one. Forget about street fighting stuff, sparring and whatever, none of it is any good if you don't go to class and actually train because it doesn't feel right. Find your styles and train, it's actually as simple as that. The hardest part is walking in for your first proper class after that sticking at it is easy because you love it and don't want to miss anything.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, judo is an option too. I think I'll try all of them for a day and see what I like. Thanks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so should I learn to spar and then do street fighting? Isn't sparring a necessity for street fighting?

I would just aim to do the ring fight. It is a more honourable reward for your effort.

This will get a bit star wars. You know light side dark side of the force.

A ring fight is hard work. You have to train for it for months and then you fight a guy who has a very real chance of beating you. Generally the only people who care are the other people who fight. But the personal development is greater and you are generally considered a better person.

A street fight is much more about instant gratification. You don't have to be anywhere near as good as you generally fight people who are not at your level. And so have less chance of beating you. You can get a reputation for being hard among your friends but it is a very superficial level of achievement. You are only as good as your last win.

Failed ring fighters generally make good street fighters.

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
makes sense. ok so then I will do a stand up art then. I'll have to see next semester what happens. thanks everyone

OP
W

williamsdean02

Orange Belt
Reaction score
why are failed ring fighters better street fighters? why are better ring fighters worse?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
why are failed ring fighters better street fighters? why are better ring fighters worse?

Better ring fighters are better but won't street fight generally. But you do see the mediocre ring guys making themselves dangerous on the street.

It is generally where you go if you don't have the discipline to make it competitively. But still want to punch people in the head.

It dosent really matter if you do stand up or wrestling or both at once. You can learn different disciplines at the same time. People do it with every other skill that is out there.

I like it because I get a grasp of the meta mechanics of how martial arts works.

Latest Discussions