I need some advice./part 2 /injuries,etc.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Yes, it takes a lot of a specific KIND of guts to step in to a point-fight--though, I am sorry to say, from what I've seen there's often a lot of pressure from parents shoving kids in there.

But while it is difficult to confront one's fantasy of what's going to happen, just as difficult in its way as the rest of it, if kids are really getting hit "hard and fast," some teacher and some judge and some parent deserve each a dope slap.

In the threads in question, I really didn't see anyone forcing anyone into competing. Karate Dads kids have an interest in tournaments and I see nothing wrong with that. I do agree that it is wrong to force a child to do something, as it can certainly be counter productive, but I really dont think thats the case here.

As for injuries and having guts...depending on the division and age group, the contact is closely monitored with the judges giving warnings. If the fighter continues to go against the warning, it can lead to being disqualified.

As for the "guts"...I've done point fighting at my old school, and it was just as competitive as being in the ring. Nobody got hurt, and everyone was still friends at the end of the class.

One of the main things that is key to avoiding injuries, is making sure that the person heading up the ring knows what they're doing. Having someone who can keep control of the action is necessary, otherwise the match can quickly get out of hand.

Mike

Karate Dad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Mike. The head judge needs to understand what he is doing. If he doesn't things can spiral out of control. The bottom line is that if either my daughters or I feel things are too rough and uncontrolled in there she has the option to bow out of the match. None of my kids have ever used that option but I think it's important for them to understand that a couple of ratings points or a trophy is no reason for them to be subjected to an out of control sparring match. They are there to learn, have fun and test themselves...not to be someone's punching bag. This is not a clause they use if they are just simply losing a match. Losing is part of the tournament experience. This is something they use if their opponent is not following the rules (repeated face shots, extremely hard contact, repeated leg or low blows, hitting while the opponent is down, etc) and the judges continue to "let them fight".

John

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I really dont like juveniles to spar outside of our class. I have to monitor them in order to set their mind for control. But, we always view sparring as a cordination routine rarely done cause we do not want
bad" defense habits forming

Latest Discussions