I need opinion.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
As I said in another post I am "forced" to study Tai Chi online. I bought several video and on and off I practiced for over 1 year. After a while I kinda quit coz I could see no porpose in carrying on movements with no meanings (to me). After a while having quit I went back to the online site and I tried buying applications and energy videos.

The applications and above all the Duei La gave a completely different meaning to me of Tai Chi. Now the form is no more empty movements, but every move is something that I really feel. Learning (well, learning is a big word coz I have read that even Masters after years of practicing still try to widen their knowledge of the inner energy) about the energy and the balance of the energy really made a difference. Before, my arms were copying moves, sometimes arms or hands thrown there unwillingly. Now I realized that even tiny movement of the hands are important and implicate change in energy flow (ie, I never cared in Ward Off Left where my right hand ended up in the end of the form, I thought it was useless). Now I have restarted to go through every movement studying it in detail.
Ok.....now the request.
When I practice the form now (Yang style long form) I have different feeling than from before. It is kinda hard to describe, it is as if my hands push/pull/hit against something and during the movement I remain relaxed mentally and relaxed are my arms/hands too. Sometimes at the end of a movement when my hand stops for a split second I have the feeling it keeps going on. It is not a metter of hardening the muscles (and I don't). I tried a little experiment with the beginning of the form and the first Push I put my torso completely out of balance. The felling was not the same.
What is what I feel? Can't be Chi coz there is no heat, tingling or whatever people describe it (and I doubt I could learn it from online lessons). I thought at first it was the blood circulation because of the slow movements, but the speed is the same I used when first I started Tai Chi.
So far the only explaination I came up with is: autosuggestion. Reading and watching about the Chi must have influence my way of seeing Tai Chi that I feel things that otherwise wouldn't be there. Unless someone has a medical explaination hee hee.

Franzfri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When we practice Chi Gong and Silk Reeling exercises before doing the Yang Guang Ping Long form, the sensation you describe is what I think our Si Fu often tells us to feel. He says "push, but you cannot push" or "pull, but you cannot pull". I think you are somehow discovering the inner feelings of Chi Gong and Tai Chi. When you travel, try to visit a school.

Latest Discussions