I need help in teaching myself

EliasDickinson

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in southern Arizona in a rather small town called Sierra Vista. The local dojo/studios are overpriced and seem somewhat phony. Unfortunately Wing Chun isn't taught here (I would have to drive to Tucson or Phoenix approx. 150 and 200 miles away to learn) So I have sought to teach myself in the comfort of my home, and with my friend (also in the same predicament as me) at school.

I can do Siu Nim Tau and have Prof. Ting's book to assist me. The problem I seem to be facing is not knowing how to teach myself/my friend, and I am having trouble trying to learn the motions of Dan Chi Sau. What should I do?

Last edited:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in southern Arizona in a rather small town called Sierra Vista. The local dojo/studios are overpriced and seem somewhat phony. Unfortunately Wing Chun isn't taught here (I would have to drive to Tucson or Phoenix approx. 150 and 200 miles away to learn) So I have sought to teach myself in the comfort of my home, and with my friend (also in the same predicament as me) at school.

I can do Siu Nim Tau and have Prof. Ting's book to assist me. The problem I seem to be facing is not knowing how to teach myself/my friend, and I am having trouble trying to learn the motions of Dan Chi Sau. What should I do?

Go and train with Geezer , Joy or Eric, I think they live in that part of America.
Forget teaching yourself mate , it is not possible.

OP
E

EliasDickinson

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, what can I do until August when I leave for the military?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I would go to that MMA place in your town and start with the fundamentals of kickboxing and BJJ. Depending on what branch of the military you are going into, it may be very helpful with relation to the military hand-to-hand training.

OP
E

EliasDickinson

White Belt
Reaction score
I am going into the Air Force, so hand-to-hand combat won't be a big deal. I really want to learn Wing Chun because it's cool, and seems more practical than any of the other things taught here. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu seems kind of impractical since most people here don't fight fair or alone.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It probably won't help you with regard to H2H then. :D Still there is nothing wrong with a good grounding in basic striking and grappling technique. It will certainly be a better benefit than trying to teach yourself WC.

OP
E

EliasDickinson

White Belt
Reaction score
Have I mentioned I am a high school senior who, not for lack of trying his hardest, is unable to get a job?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this isn't what you wanna hear, but it is impossible to teach yourself Wing Chun. It takes tactile input with someone who knows what they are doing. You don't learn the form and learn Wing Chun. Good luck and I hope you get the training you want soon.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have I mentioned I am a high school senior who, not for lack of trying his hardest, is unable to get a job?

I think you will only have to pay for petrol , I'm pretty sure Geezer teaches for free out of the goodness of his own heart.
Your just going to have to supply the motivation to drive the 150 miles or whatever to get to him.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not to question your knowledge of where you live, but according to Google maps Tucson is only 75-80 miles from Sierra Vista. There are at least 2 schools teaching Wing Chun there and one of them is Augustine Fong's school. If you really want to learn some Wing Chun I would recommend that you find a way to get to Tucson. On the other hand if you are about to leave in August, you won't be able to learn a whole lot in just 3 months. You can not teach yourself any martial arts, so the best thing you can do if REALLY want to train, is to find a way to join a school and stick with it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are really serious about learning WC/WT/VT either get up to Tucson and work with Augustine Fong's group or PM me and I'll give you some contacts in the Leung Ting lineage (my own background).

I normally would just write you off as a naive young guy with an unrealistic whim to learn kung fu. But I can tell you about another teenager I knew who wanted to become a WT master. I helped train this young kid once. He moved heaven and earth to get training... driving from Austin down to San Antonio to train, even flying to Phoenix to train with my kung fu brothers and to take seminars with Leung Ting himself. Then he shipped out in the Air Force, and somehow managed to get stationed at Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany, within commuting distance of the EWTO HQ at Schloss Langenzell near Heidelberg. This kid trained with some of the top guys in Europe and even became a personal student of Leung Ting's top European disciple, GM Keith Kernspecht. Now, many years later he's back in Austin. He's a 6th Level Master and head of the Association I belong to, the NVTO. And this kid I once helped to train is now my instructor!

Some links:
http://www.ramstein.af.mil/
http://www.wingtsunwelt.com/
http://www.wingtsun.de/dachverband/schloss_langenzell.html

Leung Ting WT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf11ynP4qJk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL390CCD111C41116F

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The military may open up a lot of doors for you with regards to training MA.
Find a decent MMA/boxing school so you can learn some fundamental body mechanics and get accustomed to learning with your body, then after basic is over and the dust settles, you may find yourself very close to a WC school.
If you look hard enough and are dilligent, there will be a WC school for you, you just may have to wait it out for a while

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not thibk that you can teach yourself good wing chun. IF you are serious--
Sierra Vista is about an hour and a half away from Tucson. Fong's wing chun has a good Saturday class there.
You can drive there and back on the same day.

joy chaudhuri

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not thibk that you can teach yourself good wing chun. IF you are serious--
Sierra Vista is about an hour and a half away from Tucson. Fong's wing chun has a good Saturday class there.
You can drive there and back on the same day.

joy chaudhuri
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS>
I can't tell how serious you are. Tucson is about 60 miles away from Sierra Vista.
Further a very good student of mine- who eventually will be in the Armed forces is moving to Sierra Vista
in a few days and will be there for about a year.My email addie is under "Contact" on my website at
www.tempewingchun.com
If you drop me a line I could give you my student's email and you might talk him into teaching you or getting you started.

joy chaudhuri

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Wc is pretty complex and there are a lot of fine points you will miss if you aren't with an instructor. My advice... Don't train yourself.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Siunimtao

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you want to learn the Real Wing Chun 5 years of practicing the Sui Nim Tao Form Correctly will award you, The Form has nothing to do with Fighting, Dont even worry about Punching Some one,
The Form Teaches a Method of appliying your body mass to a point, Sui Nim Tao is your Teacher, Study the form,

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you want to learn the Real Wing Chun 5 years of practicing the Sui Nim Tao Form Correctly will award you, The Form has nothing to do with Fighting, Dont even worry about Punching Some one,
The Form Teaches a Method of appliying your body mass to a point, Sui Nim Tao is your Teacher, Study the form,

I don't do WC, but I'm fairly certain the doing any form for 5 years in the air and by yourself or with an inexperienced training partner isn't going to result in you learning the "real Wing Chun."

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a strong believer in the importance of Siu Nim Tao.
You will never have good WC without a firm foundation in this form , and even after you have moved on to the other forms, this form should continue to be trained.
But first of all, it has to be learned by someone who knows what they're doing.
There is no way you will be able to pick up all the little nuances from a book or DVD.

Latest Discussions