I need advice on front roll

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One way I found helps to teach people is to tell them to touch fingertips and pretend you are cradling a baby. And then do the roll without hurting or crushing the infant. people seem to roll better envisioning an innocent human life in their care.

Mike Hamer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Might I suggest not collapsing your arms? An easy way to do this is to have the unbendable arm sensation while rolling.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Envision your body as a wheel - make your body into a wheel. Your front arm should be springy, not limp nor bent but curved. Think about using forward momentum, not downward momentum - a common mistake.

Look where you're going to go - don't look at the ground. Because you're going to go where you look. If you look down, you're going down. If you look ahead, you're going ahead.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Envision your body as a wheel - make your body into a wheel. Your front arm should be springy, not limp nor bent but curved. Think about using forward momentum, not downward momentum - a common mistake.

Look where you're going to go - don't look at the ground. Because you're going to go where you look. If you look down, you're going down. If you look ahead, you're going ahead.

I would say visualize(Feel) the movement forward, but don't keep looking forward while rolling. You'll have to tuck your head in as you roll over your shoulder.

/Yari

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say visualize(Feel) the movement forward, but don't keep looking forward while rolling. You'll have to tuck your head in as you roll over your shoulder.

/Yari

I should have been more specific as to when to look forward. You are correct, of course you need to tuck the head. Thanks! :)

Latest Discussions