I may have a little Aikidoka on my hands

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just a brief comment to say how cool I think it is that you are so supportive of your daughters choice of martial arts and go out of your way to train with her. The updates are fun and interesting. Have you ever read the book "Strong Fathers Strong Daughters" by Dr. Meg Meeker? A summery PDF is available on line- just google Strong fathers strong daughters. That PDF has the gist and is a good read BUT I strongly support and recommend buying the book. I do not have any kids but have probably given away 15 of these books so far. You are doing a wonderful job. Do you work on all the Japanese terms with her?

Warmest Regards
Brian King

I have not yet but I downloaded the terminology this morning. But, to be honest, I really do not need to she is very interested in getting the terminology right all by herself. She made sure she could count to ten in Japanese right after the first class and she has learned what is said for bowing as well. Also the teacher for her class (children’s class) is not pushing terminology to much yet.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK here is the little Aikidoka assessment of tonight’s workout

Rolls and falls are fun, applications are fun, two step tenkan is fun…one step tankan is boring. :)

And I got the forward left shoulder roll…. From a kneeling position…backwards left side shoulder roll….. not so good

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My little Aikidoka and Knee walking… she was shown knee walking the end of June and she just did not get it. She was shown knee walking again the last week in July and she seemed to be getting closer to figuring it out but she was still not there.

Later that day I was looking for her and I walked into my family room and there she was knee walking her way around and around the room…she got it… and she is sticking to it and not getting discouraged and keeps on trying until she gets it.

She also got her first real take down this past weekend.

I am not sure what it is called but it is when someone grabs her wrists she steps to the side of them while raising one hand and lowering the other and the person who grabbed her wrists falls down

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well we had our first test…. My little Aikidoka did great; she got 2 stripes instead of the standard one. She came off the mat with a great big smile. She is now a second degree white belt and I am a proud dad.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The most impressive MA class I have seen in a long time. I am so happy I took my daughter into this Aikido School.
And what surprised me more was that after a long hard class for a little one, physical training, throws, take downs that took longer than the scheduled hour, it was 1.5 hours, she wanted to go back and ask her sensei to go over break falls and went back and they did about 8 break falls

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's cool. I was reading something online...it was some list about the top 10 things to consider before you take a martial art. Pretty early on the list, they put cost and time...with how much you actually LIKE the art was toward the middle or end. My whole thing is this: if you don't like it, then it doesn't matter if they hold classes 24/7 and charge only $10 a month. If your heart isn't in it, you won't stay. Glad to read this!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's cool. I was reading something online...it was some list about the top 10 things to consider before you take a martial art. Pretty early on the list, they put cost and time...with how much you actually LIKE the art was toward the middle or end. My whole thing is this: if you don't like it, then it doesn't matter if they hold classes 24/7 and charge only $10 a month. If your heart isn't in it, you won't stay. Glad to read this!

Exactly, she did not like TKD all that much so 1 year and she was done, But she loves Aikido with no talk of stopping and we are at almost 2 years.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Trouble in Paradise

Well my youngest is still in Aikido and still wants to be in Aikido, but is bored out of her mind in Aikido class of late. Reason is the school moved, for reasons I understand, but to a location that is nowhere near the caliber of the old school. It is also temporary but I am not exactly sure how temporary.

This caused virtually all of the students, senior to my youngest, to stop coming. Now there are a lot of younger kids with considerably less experience than my youngest that are also much younger than my youngest so when applications are trained (and that is incredibly rare now) my youngest will go very easy on them so as not to hurt them. But the majority of the time all that is happening is the basic of basics. Talked with one of the Sempai’s last weekend, not the one that usually handles the class because he could not be there that day and got the basics are good line, which I agree with, but not 2 months and 16 classes worth, when there is a belt test looming. The basics are great for the little kids and the newer kids for their test but not for my youngest. I will admit last class there were some refinements given to my youngest that were needed, but that was the first time in 2 months

The misses is fed up and is refusing to go there since nothing new is being learned and I have to admit, I am just about at the end of my rope on this as well. I am going to talk to her Sempai and see where that gets me and then the Sensei as well if need be.

I have great respect for all that teach at this school, they are very skilled and highly qualified, but I think this (to long) temporary move is going to be the end of the kids class for my youngest.

Contacted 3 other Aikido schools in my area to see what they have to say. 2 are actually students of the same Sensei but the third is an entirely different organization.

Kind of upset about this one, this is a good school, but the space is ½ the size it was and it is too small to separate kids into groups like they use to, and even if they did, all the senior kids seem to have gone

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Xue. I don't think you told us your daughter's age. My only suggestion is to talk to the owner and make a judgement based on that. Once a child is bored it is only a matter of time before they leave.

One thing I would be concerned about if you change schools is transfer of her belt. She has invested a lot of time and effort to get to where she is now. If she goes to a school run by a previous student she may be able to retain her belt. I know there are lots of other factors but don't underestimate the value of her belt.

Good of luck and keep us in the loop. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is really tough. Sorry to hear that Xue. Hopefully by talking with the Sensei you can work things out. They need to make sure everyone is learning, especially the advanced students.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Talked with her Sensei and he has changed the way he teaches her and she is once again happy to go to Aikido. Also working on additional lessons as well and she is really happy about that.

Last class, the more he threw her and the more she threw him, the smile got bigger every time.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Talked with her Sensei and he has changed the way he teaches her and she is once again happy to go to Aikido. Also working on additional lessons as well and she is really happy about that.

Last class, the more he threw her and the more she threw him, the smile got bigger every time.
Tell her I love the way she is progressing.
:s447:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I'm glad that your talk with the sensei made a change in the teaching and that your daughter is once again happy going to class.

Latest Discussions