I may have a Hiatal Hernia?

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing lot of heavy lifting and major exercises these past two days and now out of no where I have what feels like acid and belching in the upper esophagus by the adams apple area!!

Feel like water, mucus ,acid and heartburn in the upper esophagus by the adams apple area!! It seems worse when I sit down or lay and better when I stand and walk around!!

I made a appointment with my family doctor because it been like this for over a week now. But I was reading that heavy lifting and major exercises could trigger a Hiatal Hernia. I'm sure other people here have had Hiatal Hernia and done heavy lifting and major exercises and I wonder if those symptoms are like what I have.

The burning sensation in the adams apple area, acid by the upper esophagus by the adams apple area, bitter taste, acid and some times water by the upper esophagus by the adams apple area and belching.

Some days are worse than other days. And well no burning or pain by the chest or stomach!!! No Sore throat, Hoarse voice, Trouble swallowing or coughing.

I'm really really really sacred of an endoscopy.

I'm really really really sacred of an endoscopy where they put you to sleep and stick a long tube down your throat and esophagus looking for inflammation, peptic ulcers, acid and Hernia and other problems.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, please don't get yourself upset by the thought of having an endoscopy, I know it's not a nice procedure but you may well not need one. Please see your doctor first no one even a doctor can tell you what is wrong with you over the internet.
I will say it sounds like acid reflux which I have meds for ( I've not had to have an endoscopy), however the doc needs to see you and diagnose it, don't jump to the conclusion that it's worse than it is though, it maybe something simple.
It's hard not to imagine the worse but take a deep breath, go to the doc and see what he says first. Take care

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have chronic reflux and have to go for an endoscopy every three years or so. These days it isn't so bad and they don't necessarily put you to sleep. I just have a mild sedative to relax me a bit, the tube is hardly as thick as a pencil and it generally only takes a few minutes from start to finish. Nowhere near as bad as going to the dentist :eek:

I have managed to eliminate most of my symptoms through diet though so it might be worth asking your doc if a dietician could help. I have had to cut all red meat out which isn't fun but better than the pain I was in.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reflux can be treated with meds, and/or diet and lifestyle changes and does not necessarily require endoscopy.
Hiatal hernia can often be diagnosed from an X-Ray, although endoscopy will certainly provide more information.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. see the doctor :)
whatever it is, it will be better than not knowing.

Latest Discussions