i like the thing bruce lee did for blocking

fenix

White Belt
Reaction score
can any1 help me learn 2 do that
i tried 2 find out but i think i was doing it wrong any help would be very appriaciated

G

Gary Crawford

What exactly are you trying to learn? Bruce used all types of blocks ranging from basic Wing Chun to slipping punches altogether

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's Chi Sau. Any Wing Chun school will do it a lot.

And please learn to spell.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And please learn to spell.

I'm not sure what the term for that kind of syntax is, but its basically the same thing that one does when text messaging. This is how teens are communicating now.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's called text speek (I think). My daughter used to do it when she would send me a text message. I made her start typing the words out completely 'cause it annoys me. It really does hamper the ability of us "older" folks to wrap our minds around what is being said.

Fenix, if I recall your other thread correctly, you are a fledgling MMA fighter who is attempting to create your own style (a la Lee) before going into the ring. I would caution you, as I would anyone trying to create their own style from scratch, that training for combative sports is much more complicated that one would imagine. If you have the opportunity to get into a training facility that trains in MMA do so. There are tons of things that really "make sense" when you're training on your own that will get you hurt pretty badly if you don't have an experienced instructor to explain why they really don't make sense against an opponent.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Felix - if you train in MMA, you get to pick only the techniques that work best for you and your body type. In essence, you are creating your own style by a process of natural selection. If it works for you, great, do it! If not, don't do it. I would highly suggest that after you get sick of playing around with different things and not really understanding them, that you find a real MMA gym and give it a try. I think that Bruce Lee would look at today's MMA and see it as a natural extension of the martial art philosophy he wrote about.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recognized that as Sticky Hands is that correct or am I thinking of something similar?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said, it's Chi Sau - sticky hands - one of the fundamental Wing Chun training methods.

OP
fenix

fenix

White Belt
Reaction score
ok thank you for the posts and sorry for writing in text i didnt know some people did not like it
i dont just train on my own i got a group of people that help me
i got fighting in my blood and i just need a little help
but i really appreciate the help
im going to post somthing else under "The Competitive Edge"
its about fighting a bigger opponent and i really need help with this so a post would be appreciated thank you

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok thank you for the posts and sorry for writing in text i didnt know some people did not like it
i dont just train on my own i got a group of people that help me
i got fighting in my blood and i just need a little help
but i really appreciate the help
im going to post somthing else under "The Competitive Edge"
its about fighting a bigger opponent and i really need help with this so a post would be appreciated thank you

Who is the group that helps you? Are they people with solid training and experience, and a talent for teaching? Or are they a group of people who have a lot of enthusiasm and little training and little know-how?

If they are the former, then keep training with them. If they are the latter, you are going about it the wrong way.

As has been suggested, find a good teacher and learn the proper way. If you are trying to simply pull things together on your own, without any intelligent training, you are bound to fail and may be seriously hurt in the process.

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hope he realizes that Chi Sau is for tactile sensitivity training, and not really combatively relevant as is.

I don't recall seeing any Chi Sau in the movies.

paulH

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bruce really only did that stuff in his movies. Even he admitted he fought totally different in real life than in his films.

That kind of Wing Chun training is not very useful.

its useful for learning to feel and react to energy... and that can have applications in a fight... but that drill its self will not help somebody in a fight...

flyingdragon

White Belt
Reaction score
Bruce used Wing Chun trapping in his fight scenes with Bob Baker in FURY and Chuck in WAY. Also the Cavern fight in ENTER.

Jesse Glover said Bruce could trap anyone in Seattle and some were tough guys like Ed Hart - former boxer and Jim Demile - heavyweight army champ. None could stop Bruce from trapping them and hitting them at will. Bruce trained in Wing Chun for 5 years before moving to the US so he was a top Wing Chun man. Later on he went for longer range - hit and move but he could fight inclose with trapping where it is used to immobolize an opponent.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that anyone training in Wing Chun for only 5 years would make them a top Wing Chun person. And moreover Yip Man said he wasn't a top wing chun guy either.

flyingdragon

White Belt
Reaction score
At applying it in real fighting he was. He was training with WSL not Yip Man for 2 years atleast 6 hours daily before moving to US. WSL was his main influence as you can tell when you watch Bruce perform the first form. WSL said Bruce was one of the best fighters in applying WC for real. Not knowing all the forms and stuff he wasn't.