I Hope and Pray This One's True

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080109091102.htm

Reversal Of Alzheimer's Symptoms Within Minutes In Human Study

ScienceDaily (Jan. 9, 2008) — An extraordinary new scientific study, which for the first time documents marked improvement in Alzheimer’s disease within minutes of administration of a therapeutic molecule, has just been published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation.

The new study documents a dramatic and unprecedented therapeutic effect in an Alzheimer’s patient: improvement within minutes following delivery of perispinal etanercept, which is etanercept given by injection in the spine. Etanercept (trade name Enbrel) binds and inactivates excess TNF. Etanercept is FDA approved to treat a number of immune-mediated disorders and is used off label in the study.

The new study, entitled “Rapid cognitive improvement in Alzheimer’s disease following perispinal etanercept administration,” and the accompanying commentary, entitled “Perispinal etanercept: Potential as an Alzheimer’s therapeutic,” are available on the Web site of the Journal of Neuroinflammation (http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/2/abstract).

It's a new result. It's preliminary. It could be a mistake. But Lord, if they're onto something it's wonderful news. Alzheimer's is a particularly slow and horrible way of making the Big Jump. So far there hasn't been anything we could do about it. The amount of suffering it could prevent is nearly incalculable.

diamondbar1971

Green Belt
Reaction score
That would be great news,,its too late for one of my family members who passed away a couple of years ago, but think of all the millions of people it would benefit today, unless the medical field makes the price so high no one but the wealthiest can afford to buy it.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Amazing, I look forward to hearing about more successes with this. Talk about giving someone's life back if this works...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
let us all cross our finger's and hope!
icon6.gif

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its great news if its true, but the skeptic in me says even if it is, its going to cost so much almost no one will be able to afford the treatment, or it will have insane side effects like blindness, paralasys or heart failure.

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its great news if its true, but the skeptic in me says even if it is, its going to cost so much almost no one will be able to afford the treatment, or it will have insane side effects like blindness, paralasys or heart failure.

Those are absolutely legitimate concerns.

If it pans out, the elderly do vote. It may well be covered under Medicare if the Executive or Legislative branches want to get re-elected. Considering the cost of total care for Alzheimer's patients the drug may represent real savings for the insurers.

Side effects? For me it would be worth it. A protracted and agonizing death as my brain is slowly ripped away is right up there under "worst nightmares".

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fantastic news, I hope it's true. Every crossable part of my body is crossed.