I had no idea I'd enjoy it this much!

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just started Modern Arnis about two months ago (one a week, usually). My teacher is really just showing a few of us the basics so "he has somebody to play with" - his teacher is Bruce Chiu. There is no school in my area that teaches Modern Arnis.

I can't get over how much FUN it is.

I'm stunned that this hasn't become more prevalent - as GM Remy Presas said, it's the "art within the art", and I can see how useful it'd be to so many different styles (or just by itself).

Man, how is this being kept under wraps? It's awesome!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you! I've been doing it since the mid-80s and still enjoy it. Many instructors in other arts have picked up a little arnis and added it to their arts.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just started Modern Arnis about two months ago (one a week, usually). My teacher is really just showing a few of us the basics so "he has somebody to play with" - his teacher is Bruce Chiu. There is no school in my area that teaches Modern Arnis.

I can't get over how much FUN it is.

I'm stunned that this hasn't become more prevalent - as GM Remy Presas said, it's the "art within the art", and I can see how useful it'd be to so many different styles (or just by itself).

Man, how is this being kept under wraps? It's awesome!

Glad you are enjoying it! It snuck up on me too. I tried it mainly out of respect for my teacher, who spoke highly of it, and I have been training ever since!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great!

But be warned:

"once you start down the rattan path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...":)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great!

But be warned:

"once you start down the rattan path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...":)

Shhhh, Do tell them they may also find the path of the blade as well. ;) :D

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, it ain't just the rattan path that will suck you in. Martial arts in general can sweep you along before you know it. Of all the addictions out there the study of the martial arts has got to be the best one. At least you can remember how you got the injuries you have the next morning. ;)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to the world of FMA. As you can see from some of the responses you have entered an area that sucks you in and never lets go.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your training

OP
TwentyThree

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm already sucked in - in fact, my husband and I are going to do an impromptu "class" at my teacher's house this afternoon - in the blazing hot sun in Mississippi. And next weekend we're going to a seminar... :ultracool:

At work, I have some wall calendars a vendor gave me - when rolled up, they're almost 26 inches long. If you think that I practice while I'm on conference calls and such - you'd be correct!

Heh - so, from what you guys are saying, it's a progression from rattan sticks to this:

:jediduel:

I'm good with that. :uhyeah:

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Modern Arnis will suck you in big time as well as it has for me for quite some time now !

Brian

OP
TwentyThree

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce is a good egg. You're in with a good family.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Thanks - I get the same impression. I get to meet him in September, and I'm looking forward to it.

Watching his instructional tapes is really helpful. In my regular art I'm getting ready to start sparring - or I was until I got hurt - and some of the things he said (some of it I'm sure it just quoting GM Presas) and I've been shown in Arnis I think will help me avoid getting pummeled.

For some reason, I don't want to get pummeled! :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, you guys won't believe what happened to me.

Got hurt bad doing a 3-8-12 drill. Details on my blog here: http://martialartslatestart.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/im-sidelined-for-a-while/

:vu:

And I was probably going to go to a seminar this weekend.

:waah:

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I refer to that drill as 6 count, as each side can do the strikes and blocks and it counts 6. (* GM Presas also called it six count. *) Variations are called 10 or 8 based upon who does what. But it is all good. Keep up a good spirit and heal well and do your physical therapy.

Thanks

OP
TwentyThree

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that! Heal up and get back to it.

I plan on it. I figure I'm going to have crazy upper body strength and the world's best cat stance by the time I get off crutches. :lol:

Rich Parsons said:
Sorry to hear about your injury.

I refer to that drill as 6 count, as each side can do the strikes and blocks and it counts 6. (* GM Presas also called it six count. *) Variations are called 10 or 8 based upon who does what. But it is all good. Keep up a good spirit and heal well and do your physical therapy.
I understand what you mean by calling it a 6 count...

So if you were to do a 3-8-5-12 it'd be an 8 count, and 3-8-5-12-12 a ten count?

Still learning terminology - I guess I have more time to delve into such things since I'm sitting on my butt for a while... :(

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still learning terminology - I guess I have more time to delve into such things since I'm sitting on my butt for a while... :(
Sorry to hear about the injury as well.

FYI, did you know that the Professor would teach and drill his students while both were seated face to face?

I have done this as well and it's also a pretty cool way of sharpening reflexes while aiding the students to concentrating on what the upper body is doing.

Please always consider what you doctor has ordered but if you are able to do this safely, it can keep you going in the meantime.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So if you were to do a 3-8-5-12 it'd be an 8 count, and 3-8-5-12-12 a ten count?

I too learned this high-middle-low drill from the Prof. as the 6-count drill, and there's a standard 10-count extension of it in many arts that goes something like 12-3-8-5-7ish (the last one is more an abaniko to the head than a true backhand poke). Many arts call it sumbrada. There are lots of variations.

Latest Discussions