I didn't see this section! A greeting and intro, part II!

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, yes, newb mistake! I am so sorry if I inadvertantly broke a rule!

Anyway.... I am Hyaena. I am not myself a practitioner of martial arts. I am an author that is in the process of doing research on Pencak Silat for a novel I am writing. To restate what I posted in the Beginners folder... my intent is to give a non-'Hollywood' portrayal of the art, in as accurate and respectful a manner as I can. I do not want to be explotative in any way—quite the contrary. I want to honor and celebrate this most fascinating of styles in my work.

I am totally open to questions about me as the author and about the novel itself. I am almost always online.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, you have found the right place for introductions. Once again, greeting and welcome.
This is a very friendly site with much information to gain from.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you'll find someone who can help. I've done a tiny bit of research into silat, but as i've said in another thread really recently, have never had any actual experience, so unfortunately,I wont be much help. Try asking questions in the indochinese section, im sure someone there will be able and more than willing to help you!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, newb mistake! I am so sorry if I inadvertantly broke a rule!

Anyway.... I am Hyaena. I am not myself a practitioner of martial arts. I am an author that is in the process of doing research on Pencak Silat for a novel I am writing. To restate what I posted in the Beginners folder... my intent is to give a non-'Hollywood' portrayal of the art, in as accurate and respectful a manner as I can. I do not want to be explotative in any way—quite the contrary. I want to honor and celebrate this most fascinating of styles in my work.

I am totally open to questions about me as the author and about the novel itself. I am almost always online.

You might look at some of Steve Perry's writing. It often features variants on silat, and you'll find mentions in both his blogs. Silat blog General Blog

OP
Hyaena

Hyaena

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you to both of you, Kempodisciple and jks9199! I will definitely reference Mr. Perry and also head over to the Indochinese section.

I have to thank everyone here for being as accepting as all of you have been to someone that is merely in a research process. I have had differing reactions in the various places I have gone for assistance, with law enforcement being the least receptive. I understand why they are guarded, however.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, I am sure you will be able to find some valuable research here on the forum!