hyper extension

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so i hyper extended my left elbow today. what remedies do you guys use for this sort of injury....i can use it just fine (bout an hour later) but when i did it my arm went in to shock pretty bad. it still hurts ... bengay?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
crysis said:
so i hyper extended my left elbow today. what remedies do you guys use for this sort of injury....i can use it just fine (bout an hour later) but when i did it my arm went in to shock pretty bad. it still hurts ... bengay?
Tiger balm, dude. And rest and lots of spring water.

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
so i guess going to train today would be a bad idea... :).

would tiger balm be a good stand in for jow? where can i get some goood jow

D

dscott

I know first hand that you shouldn't push training too soon. I hyperextended my elbow last year and didn't take any time off. Come to find out now, I have a bone chip and need surgery. It only made it worse that I didn't rest.

I suggest rest and ice, maybe some anti-inflammatories if you can get your hands on them. Personally I don't think the tiger balm or jow will do anything because it's not a muscle injury.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
crysis said:
so i guess going to train today would be a bad idea... :).

would tiger balm be a good stand in for jow? where can i get some goood jow
Yeah if you've hyperextended something, you won't hurt anything by taking the day off.

As far as jow, tiger balm is ok, but it's not really a jow. It's more like an Icey Hot rub. You want something to get in & help do away with the swelling. Your sifu should be able to help you with that.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need ice, ibuprofen (Advil) for inflammation and lots of rest. It will tell you when it feels good enough to go back. TW

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, ice in 15 minute intervals. Ice for 15 minutes, take 15 minutes off, ice for 15 minutes, take 15 minutes off, etc. Do this for one hour normally. And only for the first 24 hours, after that, apply heat. Tiger balm or wisest oil will help a bit, wisest oil more probably. Jow might help, but its more of an impact helper. Best thing is rest. You can still train, just lay off that arm.

7sm

J

jkdhit

15 min cold, 15 min hot, lots of rest, and perhaps a brace to keep everything moving properly

in the past i would always have the same problem with my left knee and then i decided to try wearing a padded knee brace for a 2-3 days a week for about a month, after a while i was fine and havent had any knee problems since

Latest Discussions