Hwa Rang Do form videos

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello. It's been quite awhile since I've practiced my old forms so I thought I would check here to see if anyone knows of any videos online (ie, youtube, Google, etc...) or specific web sites.

If not, but you are familiar with each form (White through Purple), maybe you can help me out and describe them to help me remember.

Wasn't it in the white belt form that has the groin strike, scrotum tear?

Thanks!!

geoCAD

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello. It's been quite awhile since I've practiced my old forms so I thought I would check here to see if anyone knows of any videos online (ie, youtube, Google, etc...) or specific web sites.

If not, but you are familiar with each form (White through Purple), maybe you can help me out and describe them to help me remember.

Wasn't it in the white belt form that has the groin strike, scrotum tear?

Thanks!!

geoCAD
I think you might know that this isn't done. I'm sure if you get in contact with your prior instructor or old classmates, they'd be able to help you out.

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. With the rise of all these new video posting web sites, I was hoping that there would be at least some videos of at least a student's colored belt test. I remember that, in addition to breaking boards and answering questions, I had to do these forms to pass the test. But, this was years and years ago so now I'm not so sure what all the various parts are to the forms. I want to practice them so when I show up to my old instructor's door step, I'm at least partially prepared to pick up again.

~G

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. With the rise of all these new video posting web sites, I was hoping that there would be at least some videos of at least a student's colored belt test. I remember that, in addition to breaking boards and answering questions, I had to do these forms to pass the test. But, this was years and years ago so now I'm not so sure what all the various parts are to the forms. I want to practice them so when I show up to my old instructor's door step, I'm at least partially prepared to pick up again.

~G
I still really think if you try to hook up with some former classmates you'll be doing a good thing, but then again ... I can't imagine the Arizona family being upset or anything if you go in and catch up.

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the link RED!! The first video is the form my 4 yr. old son is having trouble with. This will really help him out. Hopefully there will be videos of my old HRD forms too.

WanHwa

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi George,

I will try to work something out with KJN. Maybe I can record him doing the forms and email them to you. You know he won't mind if you have forgotten them over the years. Heck, I can't remember the first 5 yellow belt techniques and he just taught them to me last week... LOL.

I'll see what I can get for you, with his permission, of course.

TTYL

Sue

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi George,

I will try to work something out with KJN. Maybe I can record him doing the forms and email them to you. You know he won't mind if you have forgotten them over the years. Heck, I can't remember the first 5 yellow belt techniques and he just taught them to me last week... LOL.

I'll see what I can get for you, with his permission, of course.

TTYL

Sue
Great! Thanks for your help! Of course it doesn't have to just be KJN doing the forms.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you might know that this isn't done. I'm sure if you get in contact with your prior instructor or old classmates, they'd be able to help you out.

Shesulsa, are the Hwa Rang Do forms copyrighted like the Kuk Sool Won forms?

Miles

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Miles
If they're not already, I'm sure they will be soon. So all non-WHRDA practitioners will have to be, i think, 30% different or so.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If they're not already, I'm sure they will be soon. So all non-WHRDA practitioners will have to be, i think, 30% different or so.
When did this happen? I thought the ATA did somthing like this, its total crap for someone wanting to preserve "korean martial arts" so that only association members can teach them (cause ya cant stop em from practicing). Where might I find the details? Secondly how can WKSA copyright the forms, there are alot of folks who had them before WKSA like the old Kuk Sool Hapkido folks, as well as Kuk Sool Kwan [founded by Kim Woo Tak] (which predated In Hyuk Suh) and uses very similar forms...
Please details ;-)
Thanks!

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score

If this is the case, then my quest for my old forms would have to come from WHRDA MAs since times have changed and possibly the CMAA forms too.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well, you can patent yoga:
Can you patent wisdom?

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has issued 150 yoga-related copyrights, 134 patents on yoga accessories, and 2,315 yoga trademarks. There's big money in those pretzel twists and contortions - $3 billion a year in America alone. It's a mystery to most Indians that anybody can make that much money from the teaching of a knowledge that is not supposed to be bought or sold like sausages.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Copyrighting intelligent property and creative property has been done for a long time - copyrighting an idea, for instance, or patenting a design.

It can be done. The QUESTION is ... does it REALLY preserve art purity. :D

If you want to know how I feel about art purity (for any art), do a search for those two words and my username.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you might know that this isn't done....
Shesulsa: you and some of the Mods might need to review what we have on MT in the video library here, just so we don't get in trouble with any XYZ association/federation.

(Note: none of these linked forms videos are from Kuk Sul Won, ATA, or WHRDA, as far as I can tell.)

ADDED ON EDIT: I searched for some Hwa Rang Do forms online, and found a link to a YouTube video at one website. When I tried to access the YouTube video, a bright red text box came up saying, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by World Hwa Do Association" (I assume that was a misspelling of World Hwa Rang Do Association.) It seems that some associations/federations are, in fact, claiming and tracking forms usage (or at least video archival) and claiming copyright infringement when it is done.

ALSO ADDED ON EDIT: I just hit 300 posts and a MT purple belt. WHoooo-eeeeeee!!!

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shesulsa: you and some of the Mods might need to review what we have on MT in the video library here, just so we don't get in trouble with any XYZ association/federation.

(Note: none of these linked forms videos are from Kuk Sul Won, ATA, or WHRDA, as far as I can tell.)

ADDED ON EDIT: I searched for some Hwa Rang Do forms online, and found a link to a YouTube video at one website. When I tried to access the YouTube video, a bright red text box came up saying, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by World Hwa Do Association" (I assume that was a misspelling of World Hwa Rang Do Association.) It seems that some associations/federations are, in fact, claiming and tracking forms usage (or at least video archival) and claiming copyright infringement when it is done.

ALSO ADDED ON EDIT: I just hit 300 posts and a MT purple belt. WHoooo-eeeeeee!!!

I talked to several KSW people today and there has been no word that WKSA has done this, or is trying to do this. I heard that ATA did it a long time ago, but the KS forms are way to spread out, and they change every now and again, and I dont see how any one person could lay claim to the kuk sool forms as some like Guhm Moo ars supposed to be old forms, and lets not forget about the joint kuk sool movement in Korea before KSW etc. Proving ownership would be hard, and costly.
--Josh

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Am I missing something, NinjaMom? I don't see any HRD forms there.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I don't think there are any WHRDA forms there, but I do not know the status or 'ownership' of the others. This concern appears to be growing rather than diminishing, and if this is the case, I'm just concerned it may become a problem with other forms/federations/associations as well.

Latest Discussions