Hung Fut

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On behalf of the MartialTalk Team, let me be the first to welcome you to the boards Black Tiger Fist!! Its good to see new CMAist online. Feel free to post and start new threads as you like. Looking forward to hearing your input on things.

I'm not extremely familiar with Hung Fut, can you give me some info on it?

7sm

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
On behalf of the MartialTalk Team, let me be the first to welcome you to the boards Black Tiger Fist!! Its good to see new CMAist online. Feel free to post and start new threads as you like. Looking forward to hearing your input on things.

I'm not extremely familiar with Hung Fut, can you give me some info on it?

7sm

7starmantis,

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Hung Fut is a style created from the combonation of Hung Gar and Fut Gar. I'm sure you're familiar with Hung Gar a bit. Fut Gar is the Buddha Palm style ,so Hung Fut blends the two styles together.

I've only been doing Hung Fut about a month though.

jeff:)

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats interesting, I'm very familiar with Hung Gar, I visit one of my sifu's kung fu brothers who teaches hung gar and train with him from time to time. I've never heard of Hung Fut, but that is an interesting combination. Is it a recent system then?

7sm

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Thats interesting, I'm very familiar with Hung Gar, I visit one of my sifu's kung fu brothers who teaches hung gar and train with him from time to time. I've never heard of Hung Fut, but that is an interesting combination. Is it a recent system then?

7sm

Well, compared to styles like shaolin that are over 1500 yrs old ,yes Hung Fut would be considered a recent system ,but it's over 400 yrs old.

Are you familiar with Black Tiger at all?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I'm familiar with Black Tiger, is there a connection between the two?

I'm going to have to do some research now about Hung Fut, its really peaking my interest. I'd love to see it sometime. I like to see someone using effective techniques taken from different systems, it makes a more rounded fighter if the two systems work together. You've only been doing it a month? How do you like it? What is its focus? Is it close quarters fighting? Low stances?

7sm

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Yes, I'm familiar with Black Tiger, is there a connection between the two?
Actually there is ,we share a couple of Hung Fut forms and techniques within Black Tiger. We also both have an One Armed form.

You've only been doing it a month?
yes, actually a little over a month.

How do you like it?
I like it alot ,about as much as i like Black Tiger ,which i love.

What is its focus?
It's focus seems to be like Black Tiger's to me ,to just blitzkreig the opponet with attacks ,but Black Tiger actually attacks the attack ,where it seems Hung Fut does a lil more overpowering techniques like Hung Gar.

Is it close quarters fighting?
It's a mix of inclose to longrange i'd say ,but it's a southern style ,so yeah it's in close.

Low stances?
Yes, they focus on low stances like Hung Gar ,and Black Tiger.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool, sounds pretty good, did your sifu only study hung fut or has he studied other systems as well?

7sm

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Cool, sounds pretty good, did your sifu only study hung fut or has he studied other systems as well?

7sm
To my knowledge ,he knows Hung Gar and some Black Tiger ,but he could know more.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very interesting, thank you for answering my questions about it.

7sm

Latest Discussions