How to turn a white belt into a black belt?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its like prison. You fight one of the other guys for their black belt.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi I've started training in Karate and had to buy a white belt. I like the color black though, how do I turn my white belt into a black belt?
Hard work and a few years it just turns black on it's own provided you do not wash it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So as the OP wants to turn a white belt into a black belt, training and not washing it won't really do it so dyeing it black would be the way to go.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about selling the white belt on Craigslist and buying a black belt? You could even get it embroidered all fancy-like. Have cool stuff written in Japanese so no one (other than people who can read Japanese) will know what it actually says anyway.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about selling the white belt on Craigslist and buying a black belt? You could even get it embroidered all fancy-like. Have cool stuff written in Japanese so no one (other than people who can read Japanese) will know what it actually says anyway.

That would be replacing the white belt with a black belt, not turning the white belt black as the OP stated.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would be replacing the white belt with a black belt, not turning the white belt black as the OP stated.

Yeah, but it's easier and probably cheaper than dying it. Unless of course he's buying a high end black belt like a $100 Shureido or Tokaido and getting it embroidered.

And yeah, I'm playing along with the ridiculousness of this thread.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's easier and probably cheaper than dying it. Unless of course he's buying a high end black belt like a $100 Shureido or Tokaido and getting it embroidered.

And yeah, I'm playing along with the ridiculousness of this thread.
I've never quite gotten the point of the $100 belts. Nothing wrong with those who prefer them, but I think I spent $40 on my black belt, and that seems about the tops of what I'd spend. When it wears out (a bit slow, because I often wear hakama over it), I'll just buy another. Of course, we don't do any embroidery (except potentially the stripes), so that's a factor.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never quite gotten the point of the $100 belts. Nothing wrong with those who prefer them, but I think I spent $40 on my black belt, and that seems about the tops of what I'd spend. When it wears out (a bit slow, because I often wear hakama over it), I'll just buy another. Of course, we don't do any embroidery (except potentially the stripes), so that's a factor.

When it wears out you want to keep wearing it. Once you get a black belt you've just completed your initiation into the martial arts. Now the real training and progress begins. How much you wear out your black belt shows how much you've progressed. The idea is to get the belt worn to the point that it turns white, just like your first belt.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Some people/schools keep their original black belt through the dan ranks and just add embroidered stripes with each promotion. They'd probably be the ones most interested in the $100 belts. Others get a new belt with every promotion. They may not be as interested.

As far as the belts that shred and turn white pretty quickly, I think those are those fancy silk belts rather than the cotton ones.

I'm not 100% convinced that the $100 ones are that much better than the less expensive ones. My organization uses KI belts, and those last quite a long time. My CI claimed his current belt is about 25 years old (I think he got a new one at 3rd or 4th dan, and he's currently 7th dan). Our 4th dans are wearing their original belts as well.

And while faded and frayed at the edges, they're nothing like the ones I see in pictures. Not nearly as destroyed looking, and yes, they train hard.

My only criticism of the belts our yudansha wear is the embroidery; you can see the embroidery on the reverse side. IMO either have both sides embroidered, or have the reverse side plain black (the more expensive embroidery doesn't show through). Yes, I'm OCD like that. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Remember when you got your first bike as a kid? How cool that was, how much freedom it gave? You would go miles, everywhere, your world was different than it was just a day before. You were on the road!

Flash forward some years. You now have your first car. Life becomes way different. You can go anywhere, and you probably do. Sure, there's expense and responsibility, but it's just fricken' awesome. You're probably more concerned with how cool it is and how fast it might go than how long it will last or how your gas mileage is.

Getting your black belt is like getting that first bike.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it wears out you want to keep wearing it. Once you get a black belt you've just completed your initiation into the martial arts. Now the real training and progress begins. How much you wear out your black belt shows how much you've progressed. The idea is to get the belt worn to the point that it turns white, just like your first belt.
Meh. It's a belt to me. I like it showing some wear (at least in part because the damned thing is hard to keep tied before then), but I don't feel attached to it. At some point, it will get frail, and I will want a new one. That point would come long before it ever got looking white.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people/schools keep their original black belt through the dan ranks and just add embroidered stripes with each promotion. They'd probably be the ones most interested in the $100 belts. Others get a new belt with every promotion. They may not be as interested.

As far as the belts that shred and turn white pretty quickly, I think those are those fancy silk belts rather than the cotton ones.

I'm not 100% convinced that the $100 ones are that much better than the less expensive ones. My organization uses KI belts, and those last quite a long time. My CI claimed his current belt is about 25 years old (I think he got a new one at 3rd or 4th dan, and he's currently 7th dan). Our 4th dans are wearing their original belts as well.

And while faded and frayed at the edges, they're nothing like the ones I see in pictures. Not nearly as destroyed looking, and yes, they train hard.

My only criticism of the belts our yudansha wear is the embroidery; you can see the embroidery on the reverse side. IMO either have both sides embroidered, or have the reverse side plain black (the more expensive embroidery doesn't show through). Yes, I'm OCD like that. :)
I just checked, and the Bujin Design belt I bought is still under $40. I've had the same belt since 2003, and it shows little wear (mind you, I've mostly been an instructor in that time, so not as much wear and tear). I'm with you on the embroidery, and I think the only way to get both sides embroidered is to embroider before it is sewn (so the "back side" is inside the belt), so that probably has to be one of the expensive belts. I only knew one instructor in NGA who got one of the silk belts (I think it was silk - it looked like it, anyway), and it never showed any wear, though Larry didn't train a lot after getting his black belt (change in priorities), so it may just have not had a chance.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i know a guy who is so advanced his belt turned white and fell apart just like you guys are saying. now all that"s left is a single string he ties around his finger... :)
but seriously my black belt actually faded to a brown. when i went to visit other dojo's they thought i had a brown belt, but then as it began to fall apart it was blue on the inside. i have no idea what rank i am now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know a guy who is so advanced his belt turned white and fell apart just like you guys are saying. now all that"s left is a single string he ties around his finger... :)
but seriously my black belt actually faded to a brown. when i went to visit other dojo's they thought i had a brown belt, but then as it began to fall apart it was blue on the inside. i have no idea what rank i am now.
Rank regression!

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember when you got your first bike as a kid? How cool that was, how much freedom it gave? You would go miles, everywhere, your world was different than it was just a day before. You were on the road!
When I got my first book there wasn't much coolness or freedom for me as I couldn't ride it. I wasn't good enough with bicycles and so when I tried to ride it I would fall. When I finally developed the skill and coordination to be able to ride it (without the training wheels) that's when I experienced the coolness and freedom.

Flash forward some years. You now have your first car. Life becomes way different. You can go anywhere, and you probably do. Sure, there's expense and responsibility, but it's just fricken' awesome. You're probably more concerned with how cool it is and how fast it might go than how long it will last or how your gas mileage is.
Yes, you're right about that.

Getting your black belt is like getting that first bike.

Yes you could say that. Just like getting your first bike and being able to ride it, getting, or I should say earning a black belt is a rite of passage.

Latest Discussions