How to find martial arts

kagegakure

White Belt
Reaction score
I seem to look on the interent and there are a handful of those on there. I look on the address program thing and i find very few. SO what I'm asking is how do you find martial arts if they don't have a website AND they don't seem to have there own dojo, YET they do TEACH!!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with internet searches, even if someone doesn't have a yellowpages add they might list their name and area on an association page. I found an escrima instructor who taught me out of his living room that way.

Look at community centers, YMCAs, college campuses, and the like, those places usually don't advertise in the normal spots.

Where are you located? Someone on the board might have a suggestion.

Lamont

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Find a local martial arts supply store, often time they have listings for area teachers, flyers and business cards tacked up on the wall, good place to advertise for those teachers who don't have a website.

Andrew

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to look on the interent and there are a handful of those on there. I look on the address program thing and i find very few. SO what I'm asking is how do you find martial arts if they don't have a website AND they don't seem to have there own dojo, YET they do TEACH!!!

You could try something like google. I typed in: Kenpo schools in ct and this is what I got.
http://www.google.com/search?q=kenp...d=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

Granted, there are times when I've come across sites that have not been updated in years, so I'd take the google search for what its worth. :) It may not be 100% but it may give you some leads.

Mike

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That can be a double-edged sword. People who are "difficult" to find (i.e. have no website, no mention of themselves in the yellow pages, no fliers) are usually difficult to find for a reason. Either they are trying to limit the number of students or possibly because they are hiding from something.

On the other hand, those who flood the area with advertising can be the same way, either very good or very not as good.

I had the same issue when I moved and was forced to use the internet primarily. What I found is that the BEST way to find a place is to contact the organization or organizations of the style that you plan to study in. They will best be able to direct you to a local instructor. Either way, be sure to check out the place objectively before committing. There is always something for everyone!

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What type of martial art are you looking for? A lot of schools, or instructors are listed only on the national/international association web sites for that particular style. Even if they're not listed on the main site for the style sending an email to the web master could get you the info your looking for, or at least give you a clue as to how to find it.

Also, exploring a site like this one, and asking in the appropriate forum about instructors in your area can often give you a clue.

Latest Discussions