How much should we spend on foreign aid

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much should we spend on aid to foreign countries?
In my opinion, we should focus on fixing our own house first.
Second, we should NEVER give to any country except our allies, whether or not they can reciprocate.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ditto. I'd add something, but I would not know what.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much should we spend on aid to foreign countries?
In my opinion, we should focus on fixing our own house first.
Second, we should NEVER give to any country except our allies, whether or not they can reciprocate.

But you never GIVE to any country, there's always an ulterior motive behind any aid given. It depends on whether you think you are getting value for your money doesn't it?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you never GIVE to any country, there's always an ulterior motive behind any aid given. It depends on whether you think you are getting value for your money doesn't it?

well to be fair, that's true of any charity, even if all you get is a warm fuzzy feeling. i'm okay with us spending some on foreign aid, primarily for disaster relief. it's good for our country's image & the bottom line is that help gets to people who need it. i'm not really interested in our prolonged involvement in other nation's business though.

jf

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well to be fair, that's true of any charity, even if all you get is a warm fuzzy feeling. i'm okay with us spending some on foreign aid, primarily for disaster relief.
Same here, but, that is just being a good neighbor
it's good for our country's image & the bottom line is that help gets to people who need it. i'm not really interested in our prolonged involvement in other nation's business though.

jf
Nor am I, but, if we are going to give money away, lets not do it all willy-nilly, lets attach some strings.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
So...like...if we didn't give that money away...we might could have...like.. avoided going further in debt...by...like... not passing TARP?

...aw who cares...it ain't the government's money anyway...it's ours! It's real easy to spend other people's money.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It’s not like there is a cheque for $X billion going out.

Much of it, especially the Israeli $$, is based on military equipment. Who do you think tests new American weapons in combat?

Most of those top countries are Local American allies/supporters, vital in keeping stability in their respective regions. The $$ to Columbia and Mexico is suppose to help stop the drug trade at its source.

FA works best when you get it on the ground, once you start giving it to governments….It kinds starts to disappear…

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
All this arguing and bitching and possible real world negative consequences over 53 billion dollars? If you really want to trim the budget, you need to first look at the military budget, then at transfer payments. That's where the real fat is. Even if you eliminated all foreign aid, it would amount to only a 5% reduction in the yearly deficit.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
.7% of GDP.

Apparently, if all the richest nations spent .7% of GDP on foreign aid, you could eliminate tens of millions of preventable deaths due to poverty, starvation, illness like malaria, and so forth.

Why do that? Well, first there's the simple issue of saving millions of people. Secondly, terrorism is an international issue. Provide food, shelter and stability in impoverished neighbourhoods and you start to address the issue.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why do that? Well, first there's the simple issue of saving millions of people. Secondly, terrorism is an international issue. Provide food, shelter and stability in impoverished neighbourhoods and you start to address the issue.
Bah. Then you'd just have healthy terrorists who'd use their state funded yoga lessons to bend and twist around security barriers so they could blow up even more high value targets with their strong, strong, lithe legs!

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As much as is needed, as much as we can afford.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
$0000000000000.00

Take what you can. Give nothing back.

I always knew that quote would come in handy some day. And now it has. I guess I am just a bit irritated at having those we help turn on us. Time for a change in strategy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$0000000000000.00

Take what you can. Give nothing back.

I always knew that quote would come in handy some day. And now it has. I guess I am just a bit irritated at having those we help turn on us. Time for a change in strategy.

Maybe what was been asked for in return was too high a cost for American 'aid'?

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the U.S., we should spend as much money as would benefit the security of the country.

But sometimes that means paying for general / emergency relief. Sometimes it costs money to make friends.

Latest Discussions