How many Chinese forms are there?

S

SRyuFighter

I want to start a running list. How many forms are there?

OP
A

Angus

Thousands upon thousands. Shouldn't you specify an art?

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

ummmm do you mean forms... as in kata... or forms as in styles???? you mean forms as in kata... i dont believe we would have enough room to list all of them for every style nor do i think we have enough styles represented to do so... however it would be and interesting attempt...

OP
A

Angus

In which case you're going to run into the same problem as above. Any criteria with which you'd like them to be named (are you searching for a specific thing in one of them?) besides being "chinese"? There are really many thousands of styles, too.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Okay well then in Shaolin Kung Fu. What are all of the forms in Shaolin Kung Fu?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shew, I'm glad you cleared that up. I didn't know we could put a number on that.;)

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Lol sorry I was just curious as to all of the Shaolin forms. I've heard so many different numbers.

OP
C

chufeng

SRyuFighter,

It all started with one form...BUT...

Even narrowing it down to Shaolin forms is a problem...
Do you mean before or after the "sacking" of the temple?

Many offshoots of Shaolin developed after the temple was burned, yet, they are still Shaolin arts...

Okinawan Karate has its roots in Fujien Shaolin...

In PaiXingQuan (an offshoot art that was practiced by an underground society with a mission to overthrow the Manchu government) there are 72 forms (kata).

Traditionally, Shaolin was noted for 108 forms...

Many of the other offshoot systems had as many (some fewer).

So your question is really unanswerable.

:asian:
chufeng

OP
S

Silo-Fu Kung-Fu

There are about 3000 styles of Kung-fu Many are still taught to family members only so are hard to find info on.

OP
P

pekho

Well my school comes from both the northern and southern Shaolin lineages as they would have been say in 1930 or so.

Here is a rough beginning:

White crane, tiger, snake, leopard, dragon, monkey, all five of the immortals (drunken immortal, crippled immortal etc.), five elements, lohan, the plum blossom styles (male plum blossom, female plum blossom, plum blossom sword), bamboo leaves, buffalo, warrior, tai-chi shoo ("big sleeves"), tiger-crane and eagle claw.

Many of these categories would then have sub categories, so lohan would have silver or iron lohan, etc. Many styles are represented by a single form, and some by many forms. Each weapon also has its own style, and sometimes several styles. In our school we learn some styles only as something to contend with in sparring, there is no corresponding form.

Other schools have many different forms within the styles I have mentioned often with further sub-styles (black dragon etc.). There are probably hundreds of styles within the Shaolin lineage, not counting the bastardizations out there. I think I have named several of the main ones though, and a few esoteric ones for fun.

There are many more within my school alone, so you will never get a complete answer.

Josh

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
5 Immortals?? That's a new one...

Most popular Chinese fairy tales & legends that are martial related point to 8 Immortals... all drunkards, all trouble makers, all capable of shaking the heavens, all different in their fighting skills & methodologies.

OP
P

pekho

clfsean said:
5 Immortals?? That's a new one...

Most popular Chinese fairy tales & legends that are martial related point to 8 Immortals... all drunkards, all trouble makers, all capable of shaking the heavens, all different in their fighting skills & methodologies.
Oops that's 8 count ‘em 8 immortals. Actually I would love to find a good source of information on them. I have a crippled immortal Li Qi Kwai (my attempt at transliterating from Hokien) movement, and I have seen a few of the others. But I only know a little of their stories. When I heard they were all drunkards, it helped explain some of the staggering steps I do in the crippled god movement. I find that knowing the mythology behind a movement can really help in visualizing/feeling what is going on.

Josh

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pekho said:
Oops that's 8 count ‘em 8 immortals. Actually I would love to find a good source of information on them. I have a crippled immortal Li Qi Kwai (my attempt at transliterating from Hokien) movement, and I have seen a few of the others. But I only know a little of their stories. When I heard they were all drunkards, it helped explain some of the staggering steps I do in the crippled god movement. I find that knowing the mythology behind a movement can really help in visualizing/feeling what is going on.

Josh
Li Ti Guai... Iron Crutch Li... :boing2:
He's the "Crippled" Immortal.

I've got a book at home that if I can find it when I get in today I'll give you the name & ISBN for. It's got a summarized story (Chapter reall) of the Immortals, hows, wheres, whys... all that stuff.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Book... "Myths & Legends of China" compiled by E.T.C Werner ISBN 0-486-28092-6

It contains an entire chapter (Chapter 11) on each of the Immortals & then how they "teamed up".

Latest Discussions