development to application

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You've got the best screen name I've seen yet.

Sorry, not much else to add.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety but seeing white guys, well maybe the politically correct term is Caucasian dudes, dressed in Chinese garb just looks silly to me anymore

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety but seeing white guys, well maybe the politically correct term is Caucasian dudes, dressed in Chinese garb just looks silly to me anymore
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Haha- I am not Chinese but it looks silly to me too. There is an anglo mantis guy I have seen who wears a robe and a Chinese cap and he sells Chinese herbal products.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Haha- I am not Chinese but it looks silly to me too. There is an anglo mantis guy I have seen who wears a robe and a Chinese cap and he sells Chinese herbal products.
I can only guess that they feel it makes them appear authentic...possibility??

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Judo and Jiu Jitsu gis are pretty functional. For those arts.

The frog buttons on my Chinese jackets all used to get ripped back in the day. And "Kung Fu slippers" are probably the worst footwear ever to train in.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
With regard to the clip, I know everyone has to put in a defence against a double leg takedown these days to show "hey, we know all about defending against grapplers", but at least find some attackers who can do the takedown properly.

That underhook/sidestep/flip defence is actually reasonable and valid if the guy tries the takedown/tackle from that far away.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
With regard to the clip, I know everyone has to put in a defence against a double leg takedown these days to show "hey, we know all about defending against grapplers", but at least find some attackers who can do the takedown properly.

That underhook/sidestep/flip defence is actually reasonable and valid if the guy tries the takedown/tackle from that far away.

I agree, karate and Judo gis are functional, Kung Fu tops just strike me as playing dress up.
As for the Kung Fu slippers, we actually do use those in WT because it helps teach new students the proper footwork.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I've done the underhook/sidestep/flip defense technique successfully in free sparring and it's a valid counter. The way that they are training the technique isn't the best way to drill it. Taking a goat stance like that is just begging the attacker to take both legs, drop you on your back and pound you in the face, provided that your head doesn't hit the ground on the way down.

The best practice to countering grapplers is to only give them one leg for them to go after. The way they were training that technique is just going to cause them to end up like the guy in the video I posted.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung Fu tops just strike me as playing dress up.
Most kung fu schools I know have uniforms that consist of t-shirt and some kind of loose fitting pants that won't restrict movement. Not very exciting for a uniform.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've done the underhook/sidestep/flip defense technique successfully in free sparring and it's a valid counter. The way that they are training the technique isn't the best way to drill it. Taking a goat stance like that is just begging the attacker to take both legs, drop you on your back and pound you in the face, provided that your head doesn't hit the ground on the way down.

The best practice to countering grapplers is to only give them one leg for them to go after. The way they were training that technique is just going to cause them to end up like the guy in the video I posted.

ieYQNZyB5e-CBdm_sGrEnz6V5jzf4Jynz6UFATG6CuwaLNrfOLJqcRxx38Mtiz6Ck75djs5DzvdTmV8QaqmgiGcQDj7_07ZBphCIyE4=w320-h180-nc

Oh and aggressive kid. Chin went up. Just sayin.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ieYQNZyB5e-CBdm_sGrEnz6V5jzf4Jynz6UFATG6CuwaLNrfOLJqcRxx38Mtiz6Ck75djs5DzvdTmV8QaqmgiGcQDj7_07ZBphCIyE4=w320-h180-nc

Oh and aggressive kid. Chin went up. Just sayin.
That was a good take down. The defender had a weak stance which made it worse. You can see how that leg straightens out during the shoot. I couldn't tell if the legs was straighten out as part of the technique or if the defender tried to stand up. Either way, flawless takedown.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wrestling has high percentage takedowns for whether the guy has a leg forward or not, as the video demonstrates. Ankle pick, snatch single, high crotch, ...

Quite a few involve pulling the guy out of a more square stance to a stance with one leg forward so you can attack that leg. Those guys will thank you for giving them the front leg and saving them the work.

It won't make much difference, parallel or leg forward, if the opponent has poor takedown defence.

Some wrestlers prefer a parallel stance as they feel more comfortable countering double leg attacks than single leg attacks, or they actually want to encourage the guy to shoot a double so they can counter.

Having a "strong stance" isn't as important as having one that you can sprawl and/or sidestep rapidly from.

Latest Discussions