How easy is it to learn a second art?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not planning on picking up anything new any time soon (already doing TKD and HKD and only recently started both), but I'm just wondering how difficult it is to pick up a second martial art after the first.

I assume something completely different (i.e. jumping from Boxing to Jiu-Jitsu) would be a bit of a shock. However, I'm wondering about something like going from TKD to Karate or Kickboxing, or going from HKD to Wrestling. Would the understanding of the mechanics involved and the muscle memory of how to properly execute the techniques in one help me in the other? Or would the muscle memory from one style hinder me in the slightly different technique of the other? An example being the front kicks in TKD (kick with ball of foot) and Karate (kick with heel) following the same basic bend-and-snap motion.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not planning on picking up anything new any time soon (already doing TKD and HKD and only recently started both), but I'm just wondering how difficult it is to pick up a second martial art after the first.

I assume something completely different (i.e. jumping from Boxing to Jiu-Jitsu) would be a bit of a shock. However, I'm wondering about something like going from TKD to Karate or Kickboxing, or going from HKD to Wrestling. Would the understanding of the mechanics involved and the muscle memory of how to properly execute the techniques in one help me in the other? Or would the muscle memory from one style hinder me in the slightly different technique of the other? An example being the front kicks in TKD (kick with ball of foot) and Karate (kick with heel) following the same basic bend-and-snap motion.
From a karate base I tried kali and found that was good. Unfortunately the guy teaching it left so I stopped that training. If a second style complements your main practice then it is easy to incorporate that training. It's not that that training is easy but it fits in nicely. I found that when I started Aikido. If a second style has similar principles it might be quite easy to pick up. However it might have to be kept separate in your mind as the training can be quite different. I found that when training Krav. Then you have a system with a lot of similarities in movement and principle such as I found training Systema.

I would love to try some BJJ but I think I might be too old to really make that happen. ;)

So it is not difficult to train multiple arts as long as you keep the right mind set.
:asian:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I can affirm that learning anything new seems to get harder as you get into and beyond middle age. But it' still achievable. If you are still relatively young, I'd encourage trying new art forms. I think that in all cases one should try to achieve a solid foundation in an art before adding further disciplines. Dojo hopping on too frequent a basis probably risks sub-optimal understanding of the principles you are trying to learn. The spectrum of choice is pretty broad these days and there are any number of discussions on MT that can help in deciding what combinations of disciplines is most attractive to you.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
And, as to the complementary nature of certain arts, I am less inclined to worry about that. Practice what attracts you. There are at least as many arguments for trying something very different as there are for sticking with something that has a lot of similarity.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, I can affirm that learning anything new seems to get harder as you get into and beyond middle age. But it' still achievable. If you are still relatively young, I'd encourage trying new art forms. I think that in all cases one should try to achieve a solid foundation in an art before adding further disciplines. Dojo hopping on too frequent a basis probably risks sub-optimal understanding of the principles you are trying to learn. The spectrum of choice is pretty broad these days and there are any number of discussions on MT that can help in deciding what combinations of disciplines is most attractive to you.

Although it may not apply to all people, I absolutely agree that a solid foundation in one art will normally be preferred before going to a second art. I Korea, it used to be that when a person achieved 3rd Dan, they were encouraged to try a second art, partly to see if they were committed to their primary art. On achieving 3rd Dan in any art, you should have a good foundation.

skribs - How have you found TKD and Hapkido? Do they complement each other, if so, how? Does studying one cause any problems with learning the other well, if so, how? Does one enhance the other, if so, how? Do you spend equal amounts of time studying each art?

Just curious.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

How easy it is or not to add a second art depends entirely upon the person.

While it is true that some arts have very different strategies, such as comparing Wing Chun to Boxing or Karate (all "striking" arts, but all with vastly different methods of punching), how much difference that makes is all in the person. Some people find that arts with very different strategies are easier to learn because there is a complete new mind set. Others find it more difficult, feeling that the two "answers" for how to respond to a given movement are contradictory and therefore confusing.

Some people find it very easy when the arts tend to not over-lap at all, such as one art that has all grappling and little-to-no striking combined with another art that is mostly striking with little-to-no grappling.

It's all in the person. You just gotta find out for yourself.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How have you found TKD and Hapkido? Do they complement each other, if so, how? Does studying one cause any problems with learning the other well, if so, how? Does one enhance the other, if so, how? Do you spend equal amounts of time studying each art?

I have the same master for both arts. The TKD class incorporates everything (techniques, forms, one-step sparring, a few joint locks, and sparring), as well as a few techniques he's learned in Judo and Muay Thai. The Hapkido class is purely self defense and is 95% joint locks and submissions (which would mostly be arm breaks if followed through). Because both are Korean arts, as well as working on opposite ends of the spectrum, they work together pretty well. Our class is mostly black belts in TKD who started over in Hapkido, but me and one other guy are learning both together. I do TKD on average 3 days a week with a lot of at-home practice, Hapkido 1 day a week in class and less at-home practice.

I think I could handle multiple strategies to the same incoming attack, but I agree - until I have a lot more experience under my belt, I don't plan to add another art. When I do, I'll probably ask around on here as to what people would recommend to add to my skillset that complements what I already have.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have the same master for both arts. The TKD class incorporates everything (techniques, forms, one-step sparring, a few joint locks, and sparring), as well as a few techniques he's learned in Judo and Muay Thai. The Hapkido class is purely self defense and is 95% joint locks and submissions (which would mostly be arm breaks if followed through). Because both are Korean arts, as well as working on opposite ends of the spectrum, they work together pretty well. Our class is mostly black belts in TKD who started over in Hapkido, but me and one other guy are learning both together. I do TKD on average 3 days a week with a lot of at-home practice, Hapkido 1 day a week in class and less at-home practice.

I think I could handle multiple strategies to the same incoming attack, but I agree - until I have a lot more experience under my belt, I don't plan to add another art. When I do, I'll probably ask around on here as to what people would recommend to add to my skillset that complements what I already have.

The Hapkido that I studied was mostly defensive. Just before each dan test, some offense was taught. Most was using an already learned defense, but on the offensive instead of waiting for an attack. One should train oneself to react to an attack instinctively. There should be no if he punches, I will use technique A because it is my favorite. Favorites are OK, but that is not how one should do things. Whatever technique comes first is what you should follow through on. Thinking takes time you need to execute a technique. Remember, Hapkidoists move into an attack. You have to be fast and accurate or you have placed yourself where your opponent couldn't have hoped to find you; in his sphere of greatest power.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With the amount of skill I have in hapkido I'm more likely to throw a punch or kick at this point :p

I've been doing it for a month, one day a week. I have a lot of ground to cover.

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
With the amount of skill I have in hapkido I'm more likely to throw a punch or kick at this point :p

I've been doing it for a month, one day a week. I have a lot of ground to cover.

Many will tell you to get a foundation in one before branching off. But in your case, your doing TKD (a good sport, not martial art), so I would recommend you start a second art sooner than later before your mechanics and fighting ability are damaged too greatly.

Best of luck,

G

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many will tell you to get a foundation in one before branching off. But in your case, your doing TKD (a good sport, not martial art), so I would recommend you start a second art sooner than later before your mechanics and fighting ability are damaged too greatly.

Best of luck,

G
Gary, you're a brave man! I know what you are saying but I'm not sure I would have posted it :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

When you are ready, consider Filipino Martial Arts like Eskrima/Arnis /Kali. In our DTE group we've got boxers, grapplers, Kung fu guys and Karate guys. The FMA seems to work nicely with all our arts. And the practical weapons work adda a whole 'nother dimension. All in all it's actually improved my foundation art. Sometimes you can understand something better by stepping back and looking at it from a new perspective.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of the FMA in my area :( At least I know if someone pulls a knife on me, they brought a knife to a gun fight.

We actually do a lot of the strikes from Muay Thai in class (We don't focus on them but we do a lot of the boxing punches, some elbow and knee strikes) so I don't think that would be much of a jump at all and would round out my striking short range. I also think the circular elbow strikes mesh well with the circular kicks. The other one I'd really like to add to my arsenal once I'm comfortable with Hapkido is BJJ, simply because Hapkido is mostly while you're standing and BJJ would help if I get taken down. But I'm getting a couple years ahead of myself ;)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you are ready, consider Filipino Martial Arts like Eskrima/Arnis /Kali. In our DTE group we've got boxers, grapplers, Kung fu guys and Karate guys. The FMA seems to work nicely with all our arts. And the practical weapons work adda a whole 'nother dimension. All in all it's actually improved my foundation art. Sometimes you can understand something better by stepping back and looking at it from a new perspective.

I agree with geezer here, if you can try the FMAs. I was exposed to the FMAs through Guro Inosanto 30 years ago as an Orange belt in TKD and it changed my course of study in the martial arts. Through guro Inosanto I became interested (exposed) to Muay Thai and added some of the training drills and techniques to my TKD tool box as well. However my Modern Arnis training with Remy Presas really shed a different light on my TKD/Karate background and led to a different outlook as to what the motions of the blocks, techniques in the forms etc. etc. can mean. As geezer mentioned here I found the study of the FMAs and Modern Arnis in particular help improve my study and enjoyment of my foundation art.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Best of luck,

G

I would disagree here, from the description that skribs posted about his school, it sounds as if it is not your typical Olympic TKD school (since the instructor incorporates some Muay Thai and Judo into the curriculum) therefore he might get a more rounded education in martial arts instead of just the sport focused one.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That depends it can be easy if you practice them each then slowly start practice them both more often big pointer make sure you don't get them mixed up, a lot of people do it by accident and sometimes don't know it. One of the biggest problems I found was that the techniques have different names (nearly the same technique but completely different name) and different styles have different ways of fighting some more punches some mostly kicks some more acrobatics some more precise hits and much more

Personally i have done karate and Kung fu so I can at least have a amateurs opinion on this topic. My favorite benefit from it is that when you get both down well it gets you a different perspective on what combinations are effective and or more effective

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with geezer here, if you can try the FMAs. I was exposed to the FMAs through Guro Inosanto 30 years ago as an Orange belt in TKD and it changed my course of study in the martial arts. Through guro Inosanto I became interested (exposed) to Muay Thai and added some of the training drills and techniques to my TKD tool box as well. However my Modern Arnis training with Remy Presas really shed a different light on my TKD/Karate background and led to a different outlook as to what the motions of the blocks, techniques in the forms etc. etc. can mean. As geezer mentioned here I found the study of the FMAs and Modern Arnis in particular help improve my study and enjoyment of my foundation art.
I have to agree. My foundation art was Tang Soo Do with heavy influence from Emperado style Kajenkembo. Modern Arnis has not only added weapons, but has fundamentally altered how I apply motion and force to techniques. I wouldn't give up either knowledge base as I'm beginning to see a more seamless approach evolve in my personal applications.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree. My foundation art was Tang Soo Do with heavy influence from Emperado style Kajenkembo. Modern Arnis has not only added weapons, but has fundamentally altered how I apply motion and force to techniques. I wouldn't give up either knowledge base as I'm beginning to see a more seamless approach evolve in my personal applications.

Dennis

Your comment here is what I believe is so important in choosing to study a 2nd or 3rd martial art and that is to improve (evolve) your personal applications or approach to the martial arts. Early on when attending seminars and or class in the FMAs (particularly JKD Kali) I stayed away from getting lost into studying Jan Fan JKD, Wing Chun etc. etc. because I already had a good grounding in the empty hand arts through my study of TKD/Karate. However the study of the FMAs helped me to see things in my TKD/Karate from a different perspective and it filled in the gap so I focused my outside study on that.

Years later though Modern Arnis when I started in Modern Arnis and Kombatan because of the empty hand aspects of the art were taught (due to a heavy influence of karate, jujitsu, and small circle jujitsu found within the systems) it gave me a much more solid base from which to work from. Thus a more "seamless approach evolve in my personal apllications" as well. It is not that Modern Arnis is the end all style of the FMAs, it isn't, rather it fit my personal objectives well (learning self defense) and blended real well with my base or foundation art.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taking TKD and Hapkido is kind of like Korean MMA (just need TSD I guess). Actually we incorporate a lot of Muay Thai strikes in our school, but we don't really work on boxing footwork.

I don't want to disparage FMA to all those suggesting it, but one consideration in selecting an art is proximity to schools. I can't find any FMA schools in my immediate area. When I'm comfortable enough with TKD and/or HKD to add another to my arsenal, I'll check again.

Here's another question on adding arts: do you still train with your old art (i.e. with your old school, not just practice at home) or change over from one art to another?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of the FMA in my area :( At least I know if someone pulls a knife on me, they brought a knife to a gun fight.

We actually do a lot of the strikes from Muay Thai in class (We don't focus on them but we do a lot of the boxing punches, some elbow and knee strikes) so I don't think that would be much of a jump at all and would round out my striking short range. I also think the circular elbow strikes mesh well with the circular kicks. The other one I'd really like to add to my arsenal once I'm comfortable with Hapkido is BJJ, simply because Hapkido is mostly while you're standing and BJJ would help if I get taken down. But I'm getting a couple years ahead of myself ;)

If you are enjoying Hapkido, you might want to stay with it. In the Hapkido I learned, I was taught some ground tactics between 1st and 2nd Dan. Not a lot. Granted they were mainly how to get away from an opponent and back on my feet. Not the numerous takedowns and submissions I think BJJ does a lot of.

Latest Discussions