How does Granpa Jujitsu compare to grandchild Brazillian Jujitsu?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In defense of the Mr. Whippersnapper (see what I did there? :lfao: ) he did ask:

But he shouldn't have called Chris "ignorant." I'm still all....:lfao:.....over that one....:lfao:

At any rate, as an old school judoka (and BJJ blue belt) who rolls pretty regularly with young school BJJ players, I gotta say two things:

1) I've seen very little technique in BJJ that isn't in the original judo syllabus in one form or another. (THough today's "Olympic judo" players and students might not ever see any of it...)

2) The chief difference is in transitions, angles and strategy-things that have nothing to do with technique, but everything to do with how it's applied.

The other chief difference is that Gracie Jiu-jitsu contains eclectic striking and ground-based wrist locks.

Between JJJ and Bjj they're pretty different from each other. Here in the states, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent/legit JJJ school. A lot of them are Karate and Judo hybrids that call themselves Japanese Jujutsu. Some are even incorporating Bjj for obvious reasons.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other chief difference is that Gracie Jiu-jitsu contains eclectic striking and ground-based wrist locks.

Ermph....judo contains striking, and ground-based wrist locks. In fact, I'd say that most of BJJs "ground-based wrist locks" came from the judo Carlos Gracie learned all those years ago....

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ermph....judo contains striking,

In Kata, and they look nothing like the striking in Gjj.

and ground-based wrist locks. In fact, I'd say that most of BJJs "ground-based wrist locks" came from the judo Carlos Gracie learned all those years ago....

The wrist locks in Judo are again only present in kata, and are of the standing variety found in classical Jujutsu. If you can provide some evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

There's also no-gi training in most Gjj academies whereas no-gi is extremely rare in Judo dojos. That's another pretty key difference.

Why? Because Bjj was developed for NHB fights against other martial arts and for self defense. In those fights, striking, wrist locking, and other fun stuff was perfectly legal. Striking and wrist locking is illegal in Judo competition. No-gi was developed because you needed to learn locks and holds without the gi. That type of training isn't necessary in Judo.