How do you manage a diverse MA class?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a very diverse population where kids are more athletic at a younger age, and abound with energy, and seniors are more active now then ever before. In between are teens, young adults, middle age people and a greater number of women looking for self defense. With the smaller DoJo in mind, how do you balance and accommodate everyone while they are learning at different mental levels.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a very diverse population where kids are more athletic at a younger age, and abound with energy, and seniors are more active now then ever before. In between are teens, young adults, middle age people and a greater number of women looking for self defense. With the smaller DoJo in mind, how do you balance and accommodate everyone while they are learning at different mental levels.
I've learned through experience that you can't (as a general rule; there are always exceptions) teach kids and adults together. I'm defining kids as somewhere under 16. You can do some late teens with adults, though you have to watch for personalities a bit. Once you're into adults, I haven't seen a problem training any mix of adults together, so long as everyone feels that they don't have to keep up with the youngest/fittest right away. Men and women can train together -- though it definitely helps to have a woman as one of the instructors or senior students, or at least a couple of women in the class. Some women just aren't particularly comfortable without other women around...

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've learned through experience that you can't (as a general rule; there are always exceptions) teach kids and adults together. I'm defining kids as somewhere under 16. You can do some late teens with adults, though you have to watch for personalities a bit. Once you're into adults, I haven't seen a problem training any mix of adults together, so long as everyone feels that they don't have to keep up with the youngest/fittest right away. Men and women can train together -- though it definitely helps to have a woman as one of the instructors or senior students, or at least a couple of women in the class. Some women just aren't particularly comfortable without other women around...

I like the way you have it broken down. I know where you are coming from, with kids and adults together there can be an element of frustration and both would not enjoy the class as much. With the under 16 age group, the youngest could feed off of the older kids and also have role models to follow. Late teens with adults seems like a very good match also, because there could be some friendly competition and some bonding at the same time. In the adult class I try to gear the intensity of the class toward the advanced students and at the same time assure the newer ones that their abilities and stamina will come with perseverance. I know there are some small DoJo out there with maybe 10 to 15 students. What are some of your Challenges while going through those growing pains. Anybody with some input?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of skill levels, we've always taught all belt levels at the same time. It's rare for a class or clinic to be limited to black belts or specific belt levels. New students are pulled aside at appropriate points and taught basics. They'll then participate in the normal class, learning at their own skill level, until they're pulled aside to learn a few more punches or whatever. For example, I try to teach a new student 3 stances, 3 blocks, and 3 punches their first night. We'll work on and refine those over the next several weeks, while they participate with the rest of the class. I expect an advanced student to learn a certain technique at their level -- and a new student at a different level.

A small class will generally go through a cycle of growth, then condensation or concentration, then growth again. Often, a new student will bring several more over their first year or so -- and a few will stay. That's one of the biggest challenges; you'll be constantly bouncing between a group of advanced students and beginners. You see my solution above.