How do kung fu teachers in China teach?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen posting in this thread
The thread has not got out of hand yet but PLEASE keep the conversation friendly. It is a good thread and interesting please continue with your experiences and knowledge of the subject

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xi'an is kinda far from Shaolin.

Actually, I know, Xian is the capital of Shaanxi province as well as the ancient capital of China for the Zhou, Qin, Han, the Sui, and Tang dynasties as well as where Qin Shi Wang Di’s tomb is and where the terracotta warriors are.

I have never been to Xian but will be going there one of these days.

What style of Taiji?

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I know, Xian is the capital of Shaanxi province as well as the ancient capital of China for the Zhou, Qin, Han, the Sui, and Tang dynasties as well as where Qin Shi Wang Di’s tomb is and where the terracotta warriors are.

I have never been to Xian but will be going there one of these days.

What style of Taiji?

Chen. Was fortunate enough to train with Chen QuanZhong.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

"If you are honest and up front with what you are doing and listening to what he/she tells you where is the disrespect?"

Its a mind set thing. If you don't understand it, then there is nothing I can say which will convince you.

Very best wishes

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its a mind set thing. If you don't understand it, then there is nothing I can say which will convince you.

If the teacher does not feel disrespected, then that's all that matters, isn't it?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

"If you are honest and up front with what you are doing and listening to what he/she tells you where is the disrespect?"

Very best wishes

Arrogance and condescension… cute.

So then I can assume that Tung Ying Chieh, Sun Lutang (to name only two of the many) were disrespectful in your eyes then. But be careful how you answer that because the founder of Yang style Yang Luchan had more than one Sifu and trained more than one style too.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Arrogance and condescension… cute.

So then I can assume that Tung Ying Chieh, Sun Lutang (to name only two of the many) were disrespectful in your eyes then. But be careful how you answer that because the founder of Yang style Yang Luchan had more than one Sifu and trained more than one style too.

So it is a mindset thing... an individual mindset, not a cultural one. Some Si-Fus expect total and exclusive loyalty. Now if your Sifu is truly all-knowing, maybe that is justified. And maybe it is disrespectful for a child to question his elders even with "respect". But an adult should have open eyes, be willing to ask tough questions, and seek knowledge broadly. I understand the other point of view. I simply don't accept it!

Oh, and thanks for the history lesson Xue. It helps give some perspective.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No its not condescension or arrogance and yes, I too have studied with other sifu's and with other systems. However that does not make me a Yang Lu Chan or any other of the Masters you mentioned. And Xue Sheng, you of all people would have I thought, understood the Chinese psyche. Your Sifu will NEVER tell you he is unhappy. The Sifu who DEMANDS respect will however make you very aware of their feelings!!! There is a subtle difference. I understand where you guys are coming from. It is the western attitude of - "I've paid me money now deliver the goods". I was merely responding to the very good post of ggg214 which refelected very well my own attitude to my sifu. If you guys don't have the same attitude, that's fine by me, its up to you. But after 20 years in the CIMA's I am more satisfied and content that I have ever been with my art and my teacher.

Very best wishes

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
His wushu school near the Big Goose pagoda there. Famous for his ditang. His teacher is/was a Zha Quan master & contemporary of Ma Xian Da there in Xi'an.

Just curious...

Nope, never got to a school by the DaYanTa, though I didn't live too far from there. The wushu I studied was at a small school in the Muslim quarter. Taijiquan was mostly in the park outside the city wall by the Peace Gate.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, never got to a school by the DaYanTa, though I didn't live too far from there. The wushu I studied was at a small school in the Muslim quarter. Taijiquan was mostly in the park outside the city wall by the Peace Gate.

Loved the Muslim night market over by the Bell Tower. Great kebobs.