How Bad Does This Look?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8098305.stm

I have to admit that, as someone who has observed the political process in action for decades, this smells to high heaven - if nothing else, the very suprise expressed by opposition voters tells a story of it's own.

Tyranny by the rigged ballot is a tradition long honoured by African despots and it's a lesson the religio-politico zealots (both East and West) seem to be learning too :(.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the opposition in Iran is gaining a strong following with excellent organization. The Persians are not a crack pot Arab country they have a great and long history. I know it’s difficult, but I wouldn’t be surprised if within a decade Iran, through internal “revolution”, is back to it’s old moderate self.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Possible voter fraud, by Ahmadinejad? I'm stunned.

In other news, "I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find illegal gambling going on here!"

:rolleyes:

Pax,

Chris

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Possible voter fraud, by Ahmadinejad? I'm stunned.

In other news, "I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find illegal gambling going on here!"

:rolleyes:

Pax,

Chris
Saddam Hussein supposedly won every election by landslides too...
"Vote for me, or be shot" is a campaign slogan that works every time...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the opposition in Iran is gaining a strong following with excellent organization. The Persians are not a crack pot Arab country they have a great and long history. I know it’s difficult, but I wouldn’t be surprised if within a decade Iran, through internal “revolution”, is back to it’s old moderate self.

I wouldn't be surprised either. Personally I'd hesitate to describe pre-Ayatollah Iran as moderate, though. I think the people of Iran are often moderate, but the leadership...ot so much. The Shah of Iran was extremely indulgent and corrupt, which lead to the discontent that bred the uprising by the the students.

Iran is not an Arab country, although its frequently (mis)characterized as such. The name itself has a dark history. Persia's diplomats got cozy with Adolf Hitler in the mid-30s, resulting in the country changing its name to Iran, meaning "Aryan" or "Land of the Aryans". Ugh.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's only bad if you think the president of Iran is anything more than a puppet dancing on a string for the theocrats that actually rule the country.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The article actually does a good job of explaining the way the Iranian system works in a thumbnail sketch - the very last paragraph was quite telling on the point that Cory raises above.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blatantly embarrassing, and a slap in the face for the Iranian people. I guess it was to be expected.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah the Shah certainly didn’t promote human rights or a free society, but in many ways better then the theocracy they have now. Give and take I guess.

The trick is of course to keep Israel from dropping nukes on them. If that happens, there are no more moderates in Persia, the Arab world or anywhere in the Islamic world, they will all stop what they are doing and march on Israel. It’ll quite literally be a bloody mess that no one will win.

Many in the Islamic world are embarrassed by Iran’s political leadership, but say and do nothing.

If their Leadership wasn’t so wacko I would support them in building nuclear reactors. Most of their Electricity is generated through the burning of fossil fuels, going nuclear for power generation would free up millions of barrels of oil and certainly create less pollution. Maybe one day.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my. A powder keg going up in an already 'dangerous' nation (from our perspective). My thread title is looking more aposite by the report :(.

Latest Discussions