Hopefully not a sign of England's future

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have heard this whispered elsewhere but this is a lovely, well written, article on a topic close to my patriotic heart:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8668587.stm

I shudder to think of what the death of our oaks could symbolise for us as a nation. Hearts of oak and the wooden walls of England are an essential part of our psychological roots.

I know how daft it sounds to those elsewhere in the world but if our oaks die then so do we, or at least one of the fundamental bulwarks of our sense of nationhood.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The strength of English Oak is well known. The question is, what can be done to stop the ravages of this disease.

derobec

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have heard this whispered elsewhere but this is a lovely, well written, article on a topic close to my patriotic heart:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8668587.stm

I shudder to think of what the death of our oaks could symbolise for us as a nation. Hearts of oak and the wooden walls of England are an essential part of our psychological roots.

I know how daft it sounds to those elsewhere in the world but if our oaks die then so do we, or at least one of the fundamental bulwarks of our sense of nationhood.

Hi,

As you say, a lovely, well written article.

But having seen how much our Government has been prepared to put into CCD research I doubt that the oak will receive much attention. Not to mention the poor frogs which too are apparently being wiped out across our country...

I hope that I'm off track on this one because it would be a massive shame to see the oaks join the English Elm.

Best Wishes,
William

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only constant is change, my friend. The Brits will adapt, as they always have. That said, I hope they don't go extinct either.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for that sentiment, EH :tup:. Aye, we'll adapt but as I noted above, the oak is a potent national symbol for us in many ways. I truly hope that the biology boffins find a way to halt this disease and retain our oak - if it goes the way of the elm then that will be a sad day indeed :(.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is sobering how something so strong and mighty can be brought down by something so small. :(

I hope the disease can be fought successfully :asian:

Latest Discussions