Hopefully 1st class on Saturday

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well after quite a few years of various styles of karate (Japanese, Korean, British - yes there are a couple of English styles of karate derived from Kyokushin and Shotokan, eg Ishin Ryu, Ni-Sen, etc), kickboxing, as well as a few other arts that I didn't get on with, I've decided to try out Jujutsu; in particular Aiki-Jujutsu.

Not sure if I'll like it or not (or what to expect), but I am going with an open mind...

Does anyone here have experience with this art? Can you describe it? What did you do in it?

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Haha [emoji5]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... I've decided to try out Jujutsu; in particular Aiki-Jujutsu.
... Does anyone here have experience with this art? Can you describe it? What did you do in it?
Jujutsu and Aiki-jujutsu are not an art exactly, they are descriptive phrases. Jujutsu refers to Japanese based grappling arts. Aiki-jujutsu refers to those Japanese based grappling arts that employ harmonizing with your opponent's body tension and movement in order to control their center of balance. (nutshell descriptions there) There are a great many different schools of both in the UK, and they range the gamut from really good to totally bogus. The really good ones can be eerily effective! The totally bogus ones tend to be quite cult-like. Hope you've discovered a good one!

Let us know how it goes.

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cool, will do.. I do hope that this will be better than my experience with Judo and Ninpo... Did a few weeks of them both but didn't enjoy it...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To increase my skill set... I'm finding that are alot of movements in forms/kata/hyung that are locks, throws, holds, etc...

You want to explore what appears to be locks and throws from the sysems you allready do?

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You want to explore what appears to be locks and throws from the sysems you allready do?

I want to increase my skill set to augment what is being taught in the system that I do. Yes, we're taught some locks, throws, etc... But it's like everything else, there are different levels and depths of learning. Eg you can study maths in elementary/primary school, then high school/secondary school, then college and university (then there are levels within that)...

Whether or not I'll enjoy it is a different question, but I'm giving it a go :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to increase my skill set to augment what is being taught in the system that I do. Yes, we're taught some locks, throws, etc... But it's like everything else, there are different levels and depths of learning. Eg you can study maths in elementary/primary school, then high school/secondary school, then college and university (then there are levels within that)...

Whether or not I'll enjoy it is a different question, but I'm giving it a go :)

I was thinking mabye a philipino system. It wont be the same locks. But I think you will run across similar concepts.

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
was thinking mabye a philipino system. It wont be the same locks. But I think you will run across similar concepts

I've looked, there's no local Kali class that I can get to (I work two jobs), besides it's a combination of JKD with Kali, didn't really enjoy JKD... But that may have been the association that I tried...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've looked, there's no local Kali class that I can get to (I work two jobs), besides it's a combination of JKD with Kali, didn't really enjoy JKD... But that may have been the association that I tried...

Damn you high maintenance.

Ok. What do you like and not like about martial arts?

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe it's a bit unfair of me to say I didn't enjoy JKD, Judo and Ninpo... It's more the associations implementation of the art that I tried out; the initial contact, teaching styles, etc...

What I like and not like about the martial arts has changed over the years...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it's a bit unfair of me to say I didn't enjoy JKD, Judo and Ninpo... It's more the associations implementation of the art that I tried out; the initial contact, teaching styles, etc...

What I like and not like about the martial arts has changed over the years...

Be as unfair as you want. It is your journey you can do martial arts for whatever reason you like. I did martial arts for all sorts of gumby reasons.

But if you know what you want. You will hopefully make a better choice.

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
haha, everyone's journey is different, that's for sure...

Started about 19 years go, my main goals was competitions and to achieve my black belt... Now a days it's more for health reasons, self-defence and a deeper understanding about the arts (inc history, development of them, etc) - regardless of whether I do them or not...

What arts do you/have you done?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
haha, everyone's journey is different, that's for sure...

Started about 19 years go, my main goals was competitions and to achieve my black belt... Now a days it's more for health reasons, self-defence and a deeper understanding about the arts (inc history, development of them, etc) - regardless of whether I do them or not...

What arts do you/have you done?

bits and pieces of almost everything.

Judo, jujitsu, kung fu, zen do kai, boxing, muay thai, MMA, Capoeira, RSBD.

I did some proffessional wrestling for a bit. But never did a show.

I was mostly looking for a reality self defence style. And settled on MMA. Mostly because the stuff actually worked.

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I was mostly looking for a reality self defence style. And settled on MMA. Mostly because the stuff actually worked.

Sweet, that's awesome mate :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Looks like we have similar backgrounds. Scratch rbsd and zen do off that list and add Arnis and Savat and that's me.

Edit - minus the pro wrestling bit, but I wanted to do that when I was a kid :p

Latest Discussions