Hopefully 1st class on Saturday

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like we have similar backgrounds. Scratch rbsd and zen do off that list and add Arnis and Savat and that's me.

Edit - minus the pro wrestling bit, but I wanted to do that when I was a kid :p
I liked pro wrestling. Then I hit puberty.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Growing up, my brothers, cousins, and I would do all the WWF moves on each other - camel clutch (my favorite), pile driver, clotheslines, atomic drop, superfly snuka off the back of the couch. Pretty much all of it. There were a few cousins that were small enough to gorilla press and drop.

Does that count? If yes, I've trained it. If no, I disagree :)

In all seriousness, I respect the hell out of pro wrestlers' skills. I just stopped watching it around 11 years old. I was far more pissed when I found out pro wrestling was fake than when I found out about Santa Claus. Like 100x more pissed.

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I want to increase my skill set to augment what is being taught in the system that I do. Yes, we're taught some locks, throws, etc... But it's like everything else, there are different levels and depths of learning. Eg you can study maths in elementary/primary school, then high school/secondary school, then college and university (then there are levels within that)...

Whether or not I'll enjoy it is a different question, but I'm giving it a go :)
To each their own of course, but I'm not entirely sure that your approach / mind-set is going to allow you to fully appreciate what you are about to start training in.

If you train something purely for the purpose of enhancing / deepening your understanding of another system - there is a risk you will view the new system through the prism of your existing!

You potentially risk doing both styles (and yourself) a disservice.

Just maybe something to have in the back of your mind.

OP
kitkatninja

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
...Just maybe something to have in the back of your mind.

Thanks mate :) That's something that I was made aware of years ago... With every art/style that I've tried and/or stuck with, I approached it with basically an open mind and not comparing it to another art... Cause if I didn't I would be continuously comparing it and there was more of a reluctance to learn :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Growing up, my brothers, cousins, and I would do all the WWF moves on each other - camel clutch (my favorite), pile driver, clotheslines, atomic drop, superfly snuka off the back of the couch. Pretty much all of it. There were a few cousins that were small enough to gorilla press and drop.

Does that count? If yes, I've trained it. If no, I disagree :)

In all seriousness, I respect the hell out of pro wrestlers' skills. I just stopped watching it around 11 years old. I was far more pissed when I found out pro wrestling was fake than when I found out about Santa Claus. Like 100x more pissed.

If you ever get a chance to train it. Do so. It is a really interesting insight in to how pro wrestling is actually done.

It would be a bit like doing a stunt course I imagine.

Latest Discussions