Hook Kick- which muscle is my weakest link?

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Sorry to intrude on your forum.

What's your warmup routine like? I feel very comfortable drawing huge figure 8's with my legs, and that seems to be a similar movement. I do this a lot in my daily excercise practice, and I think that has something to do with it. Try it, and let me know.

What do you mean by draging a huge figure 8 with your legs? I'm confused... sorry

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you have lots of good advice. As for the muscles, to be general, the leg ABductors, that raise the leg to the side, and the hip/trunk rotating mucles would be the general movers, with the muscles on the back of the leg and opposite hip (base leg) as secondary movers. Try doing it slow and pushing a helper on the abdomen or crossed palms on the abdomen or heavy bag to get resistance training on those muscle sets.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Faye said:
What do you mean by drawing a huge figure 8 with your legs? I'm confused... sorry

Hmm. Mostly just that. I'd say draw them with your foot, but then you'd get folks who don't bend their knees. The top curve of the 8 and the diagonal slash down really gets the hip going the right way.

I don't bring my foot much higher than the bottom of my ribcage when I do these, but then I am posting in the wrong forum.

And, I always go in both directions for a 5 count or so.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I don't bring my foot much higher than the bottom of my ribcage when I do these, but then I am posting in the wrong forum.

:) Since we have to do hooks at head level, it would probably be better to work the muscle that height for flexibility reasons if not strength conditioning. But that is an intriguing exercise and may try it to head level. It would be slow and controlled and probably just for the more advanced. TW

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Faye said:
I think i'm gonna try slow kicks first, the hip motion is hard for me..
i have no problem moving my knee past the center target a bit, it's getting to the other end that is my challenge...

Thanks for all the info!

Try using the bar so that you can focus on the leg movement. Do them slow with as perfect a form as you can get.

Latest Discussions