Summer uniforms?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lately I've seen these "summer TKD uniforms" (short sleeves & short pants). Its new to me. Anyone wear em in your school? Any thoughts on em?

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
At our school, in the summer, you are allowed to wear your uniform pants and a martial arts t-shirt (preferably one associated with the school). The idea behind this is to keep cost down, keep the student cooler, and to stay some-what with tradition. The short pants and sleeves look too untraditional and sloppy. But that is just my opinion... In class you are not supposed to roll up your sleeves or pant legs if you are hot so going to shorts and t-shirt uniform is a stretch.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do not wear the Summer uniforms. In the Catholic elementary school where I started teaching, like Slippery Pete's dojang, we used to wear a school t-shirt and dobok pants w/belt during the Summer time. When we moved into a space with air-conditioning, we just wear our regular doboks all year round. I just turn off the air-conditioning... :)

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me, the t-shirt in the summertime makes sense. A summer uniform? Mmmm? Not so much.

A belt w/ shorts looks odd.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We wear uniform pants and a t-shirt, either plain or with a TKD theme (not everyone has a themed t-shirt). The AC in our facility is pretty iffy - the vents are in the ceiling and the ceiling is pretty high.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dobok pants plan or TKD shirt and belt...where i go we dont have AC and its Nebraska so lol a full dobok would be very difficult to train in

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless hell freezes over, we won't ever get summer uniforms. Our master doesn't like us to show any skin. I don't see anything wrong with a t-shirt and dobok pants though for summer fare. I roll up my sleeves as do a few others in our dojang in the summer as we still get hot even though we have air-conditioning. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Lately I've seen these "summer TKD uniforms" (short sleeves & short pants). Its new to me. Anyone wear em in your school? Any thoughts on em?

This just gives me a vision of a bunch of fightin' Baby Hugheys.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.mykick.com/user/item.php?grcd=10007

This is an example of what I've seen for summer uniforms. Kwon now has one, also. Does anyone wear these at their school?

TW:
I'm fairly traditional in the what is considered a uniform. But I'd have no problem w/ a t-shirt & uniform pants & belt when its hot. Although, I had a gal that thought nothing of wearing a bikini top under her dobok (instead of a t-shirt). It was hard for me, but I had to tell her it was not appropriate & to wear a t-shirt.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing other than being a stodgy I suppose but I don't like them

I trained in New Mexico in the summer in normal dobok.

I guess I could srr having a 'tournament' dobok and a less formal 'training dobok', especially something cheap so you could have a bunch on hand, especially if you, likeme, got to class and would like something 'clean' without having to wash laundry every class

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only change allowed in our school is a T-shirt in the summer. Personally, I wear the full uniform year around. I like to sweat and I personally feel it represents better. :)

If anyone wears those in their school it's their business, but if someone walked into mine with that, I'd have to make fun of ya. I know, I'm a bad guy but hey, "lead us not into temptation..." :p

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can understop the no sleeves top but the shorts...aww nah.
My master wouldnt even go for it. He would spend too much time laughing then telling me about how he trained in Korea when it was sooo hot that they had too...........(u get the message)

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Slippery_Pete said:
At our school, in the summer, you are allowed to wear your uniform pants and a martial arts t-shirt (preferably one associated with the school).

Ditto. I've only seen the shorts from an Isshin Ryu school near where I used to live. That was my first exposure to it and IMO it's not a good thing.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Eh, those shorts are so lame, and why need a tshirt? I teach in Thailand, unless youre somewere hotter..... I doubt it. Korea?! They have SNOW in Korea, it doesnt get THAT hot there. Thai people think snow is a made up story. Its HOT here, and we wear full doboks year round, air con or not. However my lenient friend instructor here allows his students to wear school tshirts during hot season. I dont agree with that.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions